Turquoise Stone inlay?

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

limited60

I bought some crushed Turquoise from CSUSA and inlaid it into some of the voids in a Banksia Pod. I fear that I may have bought too large a granule because I can not really turn the stone away (or, perhaps I haven't been aggressive enough with my gouge/scraper/skew/60g/80g sandpaper!?)

Any advice on rescuing this blank, and actually turning the stone flush with the pen surface??

Thanks

jkeithrussell

What size did you get -- AS sells it in (at least) fine, medium, coarse.

I use fine almost always -- sometimes a few larger pieces from a bag of medium.

With crushed turquoise, you have to start turning or sanding it down as soon as the CA sets up. The longer you wait, the harder it gets. And don't use accelerant unless you like the looks of white bubbles inside the inlay.

By the way, you can get the same stuff for a fraction of the price at gilmer rock shop.

A sharp skew is best for reducing the inlay.

S

spiritwoodturner

I would try sanding with a light touch at high speed. If that doesn't work why not just part it back out and start over? Or is it in a random pattern? If it is, try a dremel tool with a sanding drum on it to get the high spots down. Turquoise isn't the hardest rock in the world, you should be able to work it somehow with something. I'm just not sure how it's in there or where, so it's hard to say what's best.

Can you show a picture?

Dale

limited60

Thanks guys.....it's a pretty large granule. I was surprised once I received it. I think the largest stone in the package might be 1/16 in size, perhaps 3/32 at MOST. Then there is obviously some powder mixed in as well.

I will give the dremel a try. I had never really thought about that.
Once I get the high spots trimmed down, there will likely be some voids that need to be filled, and I'll seek out some powder for that purpose.

So, dremel, then light sanding at high speed with coarse sandpaper, then fill with powder to get to my final fill.

Hopefully I'll have some pictures once the craziness has been reigned in.

Top Bottom