Turquoise Stone Imbedded Into Pen Body

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

DRAT

First, please don't beat me up for sharing non-professional pictures. Thanks.

I tried something new (for me) last week. I imbedded some turquoise stones into a crack in my pen body on one pen, then I got an idea about imbedding them into self-made openings on the pen body. I think they came out ok.

Here's my question: Has anyone ever tried to create an entire pen body using nothing but these small turquoise stones glued one on top of the other? I imagine I could glue (CA) each stone to the brass tube, then sand it into shape while spinning on the lathe. I imagine this process would take a good amount of time to accomplish, but it might produce a unique pen.

Any thoughts?

Attachments

• turquoise pen 1.jpg
    turquoise pen 1.jpg
    56.1 KB · Views: 489
  • turquoise pen 2.jpg
    turquoise pen 2.jpg
    16.3 KB · Views: 297
  • turquoise pen 3.jpg
    turquoise pen 3.jpg
    24.9 KB · Views: 335
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

RickLong

Nice Job Drat. I've never done a full pen body but have done close to 50%.. I generally will batch my inlay pens up so I do at least 10 at a time.... I also like using Inlace over stone and CA glue... But I do both.... With inlace you will have to allow it to cure overnight but I give it a full 24hours if not more...

Good Luck!

Rick

CrimsonKeel

I think it looks really nice. I don't see why you couldn't do a whole pen out of the stones. may take a bit to get the right amount but with practice you may have your niche

sbwertz

Here is a little tutorial I did on filling a BIG hole with turquoise.

http://www.penturners.org/forum/f14/turquoise-fill-trashwood-blank-68082/

It might give you some tips.

I was just a beginner when I made the tutorial, so it certainly doesn't require any special tools or techniques. The only thing I would do differently now, is I would use a carbide cutter instead of sandpaper to shape it.

Last edited:

Spiderman

I was so excited a few months back about making my first Truestone pen and I was telling my in-laws about the blank saying that it is 85% stone and 15% resin. Something was lost in the translation and they only heard the "stone" part. A few days later there was a knock on the door and my father-in-law was dumping about 600 pounds of stone counter top left-overs on my driveway. "That should give you something to work with" he said...

I broke off a piece of a red quartz slab, pounded it down into almost dust and then CA glued drop by drop, sprinkle by sprinkle onto a pen tube. This is a picture of the finished barrel after it had been sanded and polished and then pressed together onto a Triton. You don't see the finished pen because someone grabbed it out of my hand and wouldn't give it back before I had taken her "glam" shots. Hence the poor cell phone pic attached.

I have since done a few in grey quartz but still have about 599.99 pounds of counter top left over if anyone is interested...

Mike

Attachments

• Red Quartz on a Triton - 1.jpg
    Red Quartz on a Triton - 1.jpg
    85.6 KB · Views: 221

Akula

First, please don't beat me up for sharing non-professional pictures. Thanks.

I tried something new (for me) last week. I imbedded some turquoise stones into a crack in my pen body on one pen, then I got an idea about imbedding them into self-made openings on the pen body. I think they came out ok.

Here's my question: Has anyone ever tried to create an entire pen body using nothing but these small turquoise stones glued one on top of the other? I imagine I could glue (CA) each stone to the brass tube, then sand it into shape while spinning on the lathe. I imagine this process would take a good amount of time to accomplish, but it might produce a unique pen.

Any thoughts?

I do them all the time. Popular on deer antler as well

Attachments

• DSC00218.JPG
    DSC00218.JPG
    256.3 KB · Views: 72
  • Picture 004.jpg
    Picture 004.jpg
    94.3 KB · Views: 67
  • Picture 014.jpg
    Picture 014.jpg
    140.3 KB · Views: 65