turquoise fill in trashwood blank

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

sbwertz

I had a mulberry burl blank that had a huge hole in it that I wanted to fill with turquoise. Since I don't do resin, I decided to try to make a useable blank with CA and turquoise.

Here is the original blank, drilled.
DSC01302.JPG

And with the tube inserted

DSC01305.JPG

First layer of turquoise and CA. Blank is wrapped in silicon treated baking parchment to keep it square.

DSC01307.JPG

Second layer of turquoise and CA

DSC01308.JPG

I then filled it to the top with sawdust from the lathe and medium CA. Here is is after sanding off the excess CA (and most of the paper)

DSC01309.JPG

And after turning but before finishing.

and the finished pen

Admittedly I made heavy use of my "80 grit gouge" to save my tools.

Sharon

Last edited:
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

nava1uni

Nice looking work. You can also use fine glitter or embossing powder. You can get it at a scrap booking or rubber stamp store. It works really well in filling spaces with CA and isn't hard on your tools. There are also cool colors and grits for different textures.

robutacion

This is another good example where the "Flap" discs work wonders, saving all your good cutting tools...!:wink:

I always like to see wood with fillings, you pen come out quite well...!:wink::biggrin:

Cheers
George

sbwertz

Nice looking work. You can also use fine glitter or embossing powder. You can get it at a scrap booking or rubber stamp store. It works really well in filling spaces with CA and isn't hard on your tools. There are also cool colors and grits for different textures.

I have red and gold glitter and black embossing powder that I have used in smaller voids, but I was afraid the glitter would look gaudy in such a large hole and I wanted something more eye-catching than the black.

I use the gold glitter a lot in small voids. It looks very nice with a dark colored blank. The red I use more sparingly, does great in light colored wood with worm holes.

Sharon

Top Bottom