Turning wax coated blanks

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Jim Smith

I am about to turn a couple of Rosewood burl blanks that have been dipped in wax I assume to prevent cracking. I've had them for over a year and they were not green when I got them. My question is this. Do I have to do anything special to remove the wax before I turn them? I was planning on scraping off as much as I can before I turn them, but is there anything else I need to do to prevent the wax from interfering with the CA/BLO finish?

Thanks for your help with this.

Jim Smith

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

DurocShark

Just turn them. The wax will be removed while you turn. No big deal. But be careful. The wood will be wet. CA reacts with moisture so you may have an interesting finishing experience.

I don't like wet wood for pens. It dries and cracks unless you soak it in thin CA and still sometimes even then because of the heat of the CA reacting with the moisture.

NewLondon88

Local Chapter Leader
The wax is used to seal the wet blank so it doesn't crack until it is in
your shop, and therefore your problem :tongue:

If the blank feels heavy, you might want to boil it in water or put it in
the microwave. Both will get the wax off and break open the cell walls
in the wood, allowing the moisture to escape and it more likely to help
avoid cracking and shrinking as the blank dries out.

If you boil, make sure you have an old pan or a very comfortable couch.

GoodTurns

heads up on the microwave...even though the intention is only to melt the wax, in practice, the wood gets real hot too. some might choose to use a mitt or something other than sensitive fingertips to pick up said very hot, but now waxless, wood. (I do, now)

Chris Bar

Turned maybe twenty or so Honduran Rosewood blanks since last Christmas; all were waxed and probably wet, but turned without incident or any subsequent cracking. Prefering to use what works but knowing luck might have been in residence, would microwave heating not crack the blanks due to either the heating or pressure buildup from changing the water to gas? Do folks really heat their wet blanks in a microwave to reduce moisture or is this simply an idea for experimentation? If commonplace, would try that in case luck is on vacation next time I use a premiere and expensive blank. Expected the thread initiator would want to know these answers. I have perhaps 30-40 of the Honduran Rosewood blanks among other species and can afford (simply quantity....not money...I'm broke buying blanks :biggrin:) to trash one by experimenting but really don't want to destroy such beautiful wood. Would really like to hear more about not using wet (or how to dry) wood for pens. So...open up guys. Newbies (like me) need to know...

NewLondon88

Local Chapter Leader
Do folks really heat their wet blanks in a microwave to reduce moisture or is this simply an idea for experimentation?

Yep ..it really works. Put them in a brown paper bag after you weigh them
and zap for a couple of minutes. Then let them cool. Then do it again.
Make sure you let them cool off, though. Weigh them after each cycle
and you can tell when no more moisture is being lost.

babyblues

The easiest way to get the wax off is to submerge them in a pot of boiling water. Like Charlie said, make sure it's an old one that you won't use for anything because the wax will solidify on the sides of the pot. DAMHIKT. All it takes is just a quick dunk and you're done. I grab them with a pair of tongs and dip them for just a second then pull them out. They dry off rather quickly.

If you're concerned that they might still contain moisture, just put them in a paper bag and let them sit on a shelf for a few weeks.

wolftat

Product Reviews Manager
Use your wifes favorite pot like I did, it keeps things interesting. Make sure you leave it around for her to clean also, she will be happier if she cleans it herself. Good luck.

By the way, there is no need to remove the wax if you are turning it, it will come off.

Last edited:
Top Bottom