TURNING TOOLS

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Lee Foreman

I have a couple questions about turning tools. Which truning tools works the best for turning down my pen blanks. Spindle gouges, skews, rough gouges. Is it really a big differance from using a Woodriver or a Sorby tool beside the price?
Lee

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

el_d

I use the square insert since I really don't do anything fancy. I use the r4 inserts. The r2s have more radius but I like the 4.

JCochrun

I've been using the Easy Wood tools. I've only got the square one but looking to get the round one. I love it. I still have to sand but I use it for everything right now.

ctubbs

I'll have to go with the Woodchuck also. I would recommend, however, getting the Bowl Pro rather than the PenPro. Both are wonderful tools, but if you are going to turn anything larger than pens, the PenPro may be a bit short. I made the decision after talking with Ken. He is the one that makes the tools. I use mostly the r4 cutter, but I do have the r2 also. I am saving up to buy the round one as it could come in handy from time to time. I use the Woodchuck from start to finish on most blanks, having to resort to the skew only rarely to form a special shape from time to time when the Chuck just wont fit.
Charles

While learning to turn/sharpen you should go with a cheaper tool. I started with a spindle gouge and I still use it some of the time. After rounding with a gouge I use a 1" skew. Once you learn to use one you will find you have to sand less and it is easy to sharpen. I find the bigger skew means less chance of it digging in.

JimB

You can use any of the tools mentioned. As wa already said, sharp is the important thing. I use a roughing gouge on most of mine (wood only) and sometimes take a finish pass with a skew.

As far as Woodriver and Sorby goes I have a Sorby 3/8 Bowl Gouge and a Woodriver 1/2 Bowl Gouge. I don't really see any difference in how long they hold an edge.

Top Bottom