Turning Tools

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

acmaclaren

Angi the Maker
I'm new to pen turning. I have 2 different Festool woodcarving sets. Could these be used to make pens? If not, please suggest a good beginner's set. I'm of the school that if you buy cheap, then you buy twice. So price isn't too much of a concern. I'd like to get a set that comes pre-sharpened as I have heard some tools have to be sharpened when you get them home. Any suggestions will be helpful. Thanks.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

stonepecker

First set of turning tools? Then go and get a 'cheap' set. Use them.....sharpen them.....learn from them.

THEN, go and spend the money on a better set. You will have made all the mistakes with the first set and then second will last longer.

My opinion for what it is worth. I still prefer to 'find' tools at auctions or even e-bay, and clean and resharpen them. Usually if you look long enough and if someone doesn't really 'know' what they have.........you can make a good buy.

plantman

I'm new to pen turning. I have 2 different Festool woodcarving sets. Could these be used to make pens? If not, please suggest a good beginner's set. I'm of the school that if you buy cheap, then you buy twice. So price isn't too much of a concern. I'd like to get a set that comes pre-sharpened as I have heard some tools have to be sharpened when you get them home. Any suggestions will be helpful. Thanks.

:confused: I have searched the internet and have not been able to find any woodcarving sets that are made by Festool on the market at this time. Since I have nothing to compare with Festool carving tools in general, all I can do is add my knowledge of carving verses turning to the thread. Carving tools rely on the fact that they are very sharp. with thin cutting surfaces, short blades and handles for slow controlled cuts. Turning tools usually have much longer handles, much thicker metal cutters to give you better leverage and control on uneven surfaces at high speeds. I do most of my pen turning on a Micro Mini Metal lathe, but when I use my regular mini wood lathe, I have several sets of Delta Mini turning tools for this purpose. Would like to see photos of your carving sets in order to get an idea as to what you have and want to work with. Jim S

thewishman

If I were starting over again, I would buy a tool with replaceable carbide cutting tips. I only use one with a square cutter and a parting tool now.

Many turners will swear that carbide is inferior and EVERYONE should learn how to sharpen turning tools. I'd rather turn than sharpen.:)

There are several retailers:

Peter invented them: HOME PAGE - Wood-of-1-Kind

Most places that carry pen making supplies also stock variations of those tools.

TimS124

Pre-sharpened only buys you a small amount of time at the lathe. And sharpening is no harder than turning...slap a Wolverine system on your grinder and sharpening becomes very simple.

Carbide has its place...and so does sharpening. :biggrin:

KenV

Angi--

I suspect your carving tooling is Flexcut or similar. I have some of those and they will not work well,or safely with turning unless,you are using a pole or treadle lathe.

If you know something about grinding and sharpening, you will do fine with getting a few good tools.

Key will be your choice of tool size. I started turning with very small lathes and small Bonnie Klein tools made by Crown. I still use some of them but they are about an inch or more shorter now.

Smaller tools work for small turning like pens, but big turning will send you to big tools. Yes, you can do small turning with big tools, but it is easier with medium or small tools.

I have come to the thinking that poor cheap tools get in the way of turning being fun and more successful. Get better than cheap and get training on sharpening.

Last edited:

Lucky2

No, carving tools should not be used on the lathe, they are not made to take the stresses of woodturning. To get yourself set up to turn, I think you would be better of to start off with a couple of carbide tools. With the carbide tools, you don't have to own a grinder or expensive grinding wheels. And you can pass on the Wolverine, or, any other sharpening system. When your insert gets dull you just rotate it about 1/4 turn, then after using the whole insert by rotating it, just install a new insert. For just starting out, this is your cheapest way to get yourself set up for turning. If you purchase a carbide roughing tool, a carbide finishing tool, and lastly a carbide parting tool you'll be all set-up to turn even more than pens.
Len

acmaclaren

Angi the Maker
Thank you all for the information. Yes, I was wrong about the brand for my carving sets (thanks KenV). The brand is Flexcut. I will go ahead and hit the 2 woodworking stores in my area and see what they have.

KenV

Angi --

Nothing wrong with carbide tools -- I have them and use them. They are worth consideration starting and yes, the carbides can be honed for longer life.

I like good high speed steel - Carter, Thompson, Crown, Sorby D-Way, and others.

I use short handles for pen turning and mostly interchangable handles.

you will want to get for penturning -- if you go for steel tools and sharpening -

Thin (1/16) parting tool (Amazon is hard to beat for price)

Craft Supply USA has good stuff and sends out catalogs.

Skew - 1/2 or 3/4 is a good size.

Small gouge - 3/8 American (1/4 British) spindle gouge

Spindle Roughing Gouge - (I really like the 5/8 SRG that Doug Thompson sells for pen work)

Small Bowl gouge -- 3/8 american is a good size and is excellent for knots an similar and with practice most anything.

Avoid the all in kits as you will use about 1/2 of them on a regular basis.

Google Search on D-Way and Thompson Lathe Tools for some excellent steel

If you are sharpening for carving and have a Tormek, get the turning jigs for Tormek and you are set. If you do not have a power sharpening system and want one for both carving and turning think about the water wheel sharpening systems.

plantman

This may be a good starting tool for you. It's PSI's 10 piece Ultra Carbide Chisel set # LXPMSET on sale for $89.00. Features 3 carbide cutters, 3 Carriers, 1 handle, magnetic chip deflector, and storage pouch. Cutters are all marked so you know how many sides you have used. Jim S

acmaclaren

Angi the Maker
Ken,

Thanks for the more specific info. I'll be sure to look at all of those brands. I did find a Benjamins Best set on PSI. It's a simple 3 piece set. I'm going to use those as well as a set of random tools I got from a guy cleaning out his shop. He used to make pens a long time ago. So I think I'm set for now.

Dave Turner

Lots of good advice here. Now for my two cents. For minimal expense, I agree that carbide tools are hard to beat. But there are a few materials that don't seem to behave nicely with carbide scraping tools. For these, a sharp skew or sharp spindle gouge can smoothly cut what the carbide tool will tend to chunk or shatter. I will use whatever cuts the best for the job I'm doing.

I personally recommend a roughing gouge for rounding your blanks and bringing them quickly down in size. I find it works better than my carbide tools for this, particularly with acrylics where you get those pesky plastic threads messing up everything when using carbide tools. I will switch to carbide (assuming the material cuts well with it) once I get most of the waste material taken off. I feel I have better control of final shaping with carbide.

If you're serious about turning other things besides pens, a slow speed grinder and sharpening jig (I use the Wolverine one) are a necessity.

Finally, the more expensive tools made with the higher grade steels are worth it in the long run. It's a joy to have your gouge stay sharp for more than a few minutes.

Whitehat1994

Ken,

Thanks for the more specific info. I'll be sure to look at all of those brands. I did find a Benjamins Best set on PSI. It's a simple 3 piece set. I'm going to use those as well as a set of random tools I got from a guy cleaning out his shop. He used to make pens a long time ago. So I think I'm set for now.

I've been turning just about 1 1-2 years. I bought the PSI Benjamin Best 3 piece carbide tip tools. Worked fine, for a well. I began turning lots of acrylic and the tools dulled. I took a sharpen in class at woodcraft. I still cannot get the Benjamin Best tools sharp again. I use a diamond card size stone. I also bought the slow speed bench sharpener ans wolverine kit to sharpen the old tools I got when I bought a shopsmith. Still learning to sharpen.
So I recently bought Wood River 3 piece pen turning kit. high Speed steel.
Due to back injury and back surgery, I've not been turning since about April.

Top Bottom