Turning Tools

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

tglees

Hello,
I am looking at a set of 8 Benjamins Best HSS Lathe Chisel Set has anyone used these? Are they good? I am turning pens, bottle stoppers and Christmas decorations.

I have just upgraded from a Proxxon DB250 Mini Lathe to a Excelsior Lathe. Also I am woman, so I do not want the chisels to be to heavy in the hand.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

aplpickr

BB tools can be pretty decent steel, BUT NOT THE BEST. You will probably only use half of the set. It is better to buy single tools as you need them. BB tools will have you sharpening more often. Do you want to turn or grind steel? :)

monophoto

Ben's Best are good tools. Yes, you can spend more money, but they will do the job.

But buying tools as sets isn't always the optimum - it is likely that there are tools in the set that you really don't need. Buying tools individually as needed is usually a better strategy.

Dan Masshardt

I recommend the harbor frieght set with the reddish handles $69 and you can then use the 25% coupon.

Ice used every single tool in the set - some daily even though I have many higher quality tools.

kovalcik

I use BB tools and they work fine, just make sure you sharpen at the first sign of tears or the cut being harder than it should be. Since you are turning mostly smaller items, I would start with a 3/4" roughing gouge, 3/8" and/or 1/2" spindle gouge, 1/2" and/or 1" skew, and a parting tool. A thin parting tool is a nice addition, either bought or made yourself. Make sure to get a sharpening setup of some type. It would not hurt to spend more on the spindle gouge(s) to get a better brand if you have the cash since that is likely going to be your go-to tool. I find the 1" skew a little easier to control than the smaller one, but you may want the smaller size for detail work. After I ground my skew to the shape and angle I wanted, it has not been back to the grinder. I just use a diamond card to touch it up.

KenV

I have found the heat treat to be a bit inconsistent between Bens Best tools. That said with a bucket of lathe tools, I usually grab a little BB oval skew to turn pens and other small stuff.

I am underwehlmed by the BB spindle roughing gouge, but dearly love the 5/8 Thompson SRG.

ed4copies

Local Chapter Manager
I do 90% of my turning with a BB 3/4" oval skew. Nearly all the vids show me using that tool.

I HAVE better tools (more expensive), but I rarely use them.

Dan Masshardt

I do 90% of my turning with a BB 3/4" oval skew. Nearly all the vids show me using that tool. I HAVE better tools (more expensive), but I rarely use them.

I really like that tool too. I have mine re shaped a bit but it's my go to skew.

I also only hone it on a diamond hone. Keep it touched up and you hardly ever have to go to the grinder.

keymaster61

I bought a set of tools when i first started turning pens but i wish i had just got better quality three quarter roughing gouge for wood and a three eights spindle for acrylics

Top Bottom