Turning teak

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Band Saw Box

Passed Away Dec 8, 2021
In Memoriam
I have a request for a sierra style pen with teak. Is there anything special I'll need to do in gluing the brass tubes in and in turn and with finish it using hut crystal coat? Thanks for the help.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

monophoto

Teak is a beautiful wood, but it requires special attention to address a few issues.

First, it is oily. So before gluing, and before applying finish, it helps to wipe it down with denatured alcohol or acetone. If you are a pen turner, pour a little acetone through the hole and into a glass container - then, after you have completed turning and finishing your pens, use that acetone to clean the surplus finish off your bushings.

Second, teak contains a lot of silica, so it dulls tools more rapidly that other woods. So you will need to sharpen more frequently.

Finatic

Only thing is don't breathe the teak dust. It can be very toxic. I wear a mask plus I have a fan blowing across the lathe to keep the dust away from me and into my air filter. Teak is Gorgeous when finished with a high gloss. Have Fun.

gbpens

The only teak I have turned was old decking from a navy ship. Thick CA worked fine for gluing the tubes in and I used spray lacquer for the finish. If you are using new (oily) wood you might want to clean the surface before applying any finish.

Band Saw Box

Passed Away Dec 8, 2021
In Memoriam
Thanks for the help, I was thinking I might have to clean the blanks before gluing and finishing. I did not know it could toxic I do wear a power dust mask when I turn and sand. I've never had a need to buy denatured alcohol or acetone would Lowes carry them?? gbpens how to you apply the spray lacquer on or off the lathe?

SSGMEADER

Yes you can get it at Lowes, I've done a ot of Teak because I had a builder friend of mine who built a deck and I got all the cut offs. Pretty much just what everyone said prior. You'll see it clog your paper real fast too because of the oil.

Rick_G

I've done quite a few pens in teak and other than roughing up the tubes a bit for the glue nothing special was done to glue in the tubes. I use epoxy for all my pens. As far as finish I just used my standard CA finish.

Jim Burr

Banned
Louie nailed it. But if you aren't using breathing protection while turning...you shouldn't be turning. DNA works well because you can use it for drying blanks as well!

Top Bottom