Turning stabilized wood

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

hdtran

I'm not sure whether this question belongs here, or in the "casting & stabilization" forum, but I'll try here first.

I was lucky enough to get some spalted maple (unstabilized), and I have a number of other spalted and/or figured blanks (also dry but not stabilized). I'm thinking of sending them to one of our sponsors for stabilization (but no dyeing).

How difficult are they to turn after they've been stabilized? Am I going to be trading turning soft, somewhat spongy stuff to turning rock-hard, chippy stuff?

Thanks!

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

purplehaze

stabilized blanks

hdtran, Ive only turned a couple of blanks that were stabilized and let me tell you there is a huge difference. I did not have any tear out or chipping, it sands nice and the blank polishes to a decent satin sheen with no finish.

hdtran

hdtran, Ive only turned a couple of blanks that were stabilized and let me tell you there is a huge difference. I did not have any tear out or chipping, it sands nice and the blank polishes to a decent satin sheen with no finish.

Thanks, guys! (and gals!)

Will I need to sharpen my gouge every other blank, and wear a respirator dust mask? :)

Fred

It is recommended that you always wear a face mask or something of your choosing to protect youself from dust. Dust of any kind - over a period of time - has been proven by too many to be dangerous to your health.

Proper dust collection at all times is highly advised.

Top Bottom