turning plum

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Status
Not open for further replies.

wee willie

Has anyone ever turned plum before . I have an old sugar plum tree that lost a couple of branches a year or so ago and i just let them lie in the ditch. Wondered if it would be worthwhile taking them out and cutting them to see.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Old Griz

Passed Away Oct 4, 2013
In Memoriam
Plumb is a real pretty wood... in fact just about all the fruit woods turn nice... the couple of pieces I have had came from a grove in Washington State and had a distinct purple tinge to them... made a couple of DT Euros that sold instantly to women...

woodwish

Most fruit woods split and check badly but if these have been around a while they should be dry enough to at least see how they work. I have had some good luck making pens and bottle stoppers out of a big plum that blew down in Hurricane Ivan, but have had no luck in turning bowls without cracks. Pens are small enough that there is not as much stress as a bigger piece. I have found that I can make pens of about anything, but not all woods will make bigger items. Not much grain in plum but pretty colors.

wee willie

just went out and was able to break 4" branches in half, seems to be a lot of sawdust in the centre and not much of anything else, there was some nice colour,wish I had gotten to them earlier. Oh well I still have a couple of broken lilac branches to remove so will check them out. Now lets see I still have the Cherry and Apple trees, ah maybe those wouldn't go over too well. I may take the 2" dia maple( I put in the fire pit to burn last year and never did)and see what it looks like.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom