turning pic

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Paul in OKC

Haven't done a lot of turning for a bit. Started a pen last night, and my daughter came out with the camera and took some shots. I could do a documentary with what she took! Here's a couple.

Attachments

• DSC_0254.jpg
    DSC_0254.jpg
    168.6 KB · Views: 337
  • DSC_0276.jpg
    DSC_0276.jpg
    201 KB · Views: 340
  • DSC_0220.jpg
    DSC_0220.jpg
    160 KB · Views: 315
  • DSC_0269.jpg
    DSC_0269.jpg
    173.8 KB · Views: 321
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Terredax

Banned
So... where's the pen?
We need to see the pen after teasing with process photos.:wink:

Dale Allen

Great pictures. Must have either been a great camera or great photographer...or both. You will also have to explain the band aid!:biggrin:

eharri446

As organized as Paul's shop is, it could have been caused by navigational hazards. Or as he told me when we visiting last month, it could have been an on the job injury.

Glad to see you grabbing some of the beautiful wood out of the drawer and getting back into pen turning.

Paul in OKC

Ok, the pen isn't finished yet. Hopefully tomorrow. The carbide tool is the first one I made a few years ago. The band aid, well, I was swatting at a mosquito and missed, but hit a shelf bracket and removed some skin :). My middle daughter (14) was the photographer, camera is a Nikon D5100. She is very good with it.
The wood came from a branch off a tree from a neighbors yard. This couple built their house and have lived there for 50+ years. They planted the tree. A storm knocked some branches off a year or two ago, and when they piled the stuff up to be picked up I grabbed one to make them a pen from. Finally getting a round to it. I think they will enjoy and be surprised. They don't know I do this hobby, so.....should be fun.

Last edited:

Paul in OKC

Couple more turning shots. Oldest daughter on the camera this time. This is my new carbide tool I build(shameless plug!)

Attachments

• DSC_0025small.jpg
    DSC_0025small.jpg
    101.9 KB · Views: 149
  • DSC_0039small.jpg
    DSC_0039small.jpg
    220.8 KB · Views: 182
  • DSC_0019small.jpg
    DSC_0019small.jpg
    115.1 KB · Views: 131

Paul in OKC

Got to do the fun thing of delivering the pens to the couple. They both answered the door, "Well, hi Paul, is everything OK?" I assured them it was and stepped in. Told them I have a hobby I like to do. "OK" they curiously responded. Told them I got some wood out of the junk pile from when their tree got damaged a couple of years ago. The wife began to tell me how she had planted that tree herself over 50 years ago. She got a chair out to watch the workers trimming and removing broken branches to make sure they didn't go too far! Even shed a tear or two because "that is my tree". So I handed them the open pen box. It is so fun to see people's response to things like that. They said they would display them, but never write with them. I just said they were to do what ever they wanted, but writing is ok :) Funnest part of the exchange is when they said it was just nice that they were thought of in this way. Is this fun or what!

Top Bottom