Turning Pens on a Shopsmith

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

jedgerton

Folks,

I have a friend who inherited a model 510 shopsmith. I've never had to outfit one of these tools for penturning so I'm lookiing for some help.

What do you need to get a mandrel on one of these tools? Does the headstock accept MT2?

Same question on the tailstock. What sort of live center does it have or what do you need?

I assume these tools usually come with some sort of tool rest, is that a good assumption? He didn't get any turning tools so I'm not sure how complete the tool he inherited was.

Any advice is appreciated.

John

Robert Taylor

i have turned well over a hundred pens on a shopsmith. pennstate sells a mandrel for the shopsmith about $20.00. woodcraft also sells a straight mandrel rod for about $3.00 the can be used in the drill chuck. i use the pennstate myself. the tailstock on a shopsmith is a standard #2 morse taper. i reccomend a metal lathe type live center with a 60 degree point as they are hardened. they are about $20.00 from johnnycnc here on this forum or online. any lathe tools can be used and there are many to choose from. i find the shopsmith toolrest to be perfect for turning pens.

KenBrasier

Like Bob in Ohio, I've used my Shopsmith to turn several hundred pens. The shaft in the Quill is 5/8" and takes the PSI PKM-CL Mandrel, or you can use the XPKM-ELC2 in your drill chuck. The tailstock is #2MT and I use the PSI Mandrel Saver (when I'm not TBC). The Shopsmith is also great for drilling blanks as the Quill travel is over 4". I use a small 4 jaw chuck with a #2MT in the tailstock to hold the blanks for drilling on the lathe. You can also get a 5/8" to 1'-8 adapter which allows you to use most of the popular lathe chucks and collet chucks on your Shopsmith.

Top Bottom