Turning Pens Inside??

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Roos85

Within the cold winter months knocking on our door, my friend and I (we have 2 lathes) were thinking of moving our operation into the basement. Is there any harm in turning inside? If not, what would be the best way to keep the dust down during the sanding process? Any advice would be good.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

ed4copies

Local Chapter Manager
Mack has a good suggestion---wet sand.

If you can afford a good dust collector (vacuum), that is a BIG help, too.

My shop is in the basement, furnace filters should be replaced more often to keep dust out of the rest of the house.

Buzzzz4

I've only ever turned inside. Converted a guest room in my basement into my shop. The carpet is toast but wonderful to work on. Some ventilation would be suggested especially if doing a CA finish.

Agree with the ventilation - I have a dust collector and will be putting in a hood (kitchen stove type) over my over my work areas and venting them outside. Don't know if that is possible for you but might be worth looking into.

Rick P

Mine is in a titty bitty bed room about 3 feet from the kitchen. I run a vent fan in the window and I have a home made dust collector rigged to a shop vac.

arcwick08

Finish turning with a skew! No sanding req'd! Wet mm!

More interested in this... how do you do this? Sorry guys, real newb here. My buddy is what i consider advanced but we still sand everything.

As your last 'cutting' step in turning your pens, use a nice sharp skew chisel. If you scrape more than cut, you will end with a very smooth finish. I started doing this shortly after begenning to turn and its a great help. I find a sharp skew will take me to the equivilent smoothness of ~400grit. After this I wet sand with automotive (the black paper from the hardware store) paper; 320, 400, 600.

Last edited:

bitshird

CA fumes are your worst thing, you also should run a dust filter some how, I have an Oneida Dust Deputy that grabs about 90 % of the dust coming off my lathe, and it runs to the 6 HP shop vac fitted with a HEPA washable filter, but in over a year and Lots of turning the filter has only been blown off once, the cyclonic action really does pull all of the fine dust in and holds it from going into the shop vac. Small and affordable right about 100.00 I want a big one for the entire shop.

Top Bottom