Turning Pens on Drill Press

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Rink

Hi. I'm new to the forum, and very impressed by the pens I see here. Nothing short of spectacular in fact. I've always had a thing for pens. Anyway, I'm an experienced woodworker, but have no lathe and have yet to experience my first turning project. I'm considering trying out pen-making using my drill press with the PKM-DL and DPLATHE fixtures from PSI. Any comments on that approach as a way to affordably step into pen making? I hope to have a lathe at some point, but not ready for the cash outlay yet. Also how about carbide chisels instead of HSS? Thanks for any insight.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
I have never tried it but you would need your drill press to have absolutely no wobble because most kits are turned very thin on the nib end. If you have any wobble the pen would be out of round and a good chance you would see the brass tube on one side at least. I know my drill press would not be accurate enough for pens.

turncrazy43

Welcome Rink, lots of great information here. As suggested above, your drill press would have to be totally wobble free. If it is not then the cost of the drill press attachment would be wasted or you would have to buy a better one. The most cost effective way may be to save and purchase an entry level mini such as a Rikon via Woodcraft. They are generally on sale in the $350 range.

RickLong

Welcome Rink, lots of great information here. As suggested above, your drill press would have to be totally wobble free. If it is not then the cost of the drill press attachment would be wasted or you would have to buy a better one. The most cost effective way may be to save and purchase an entry level mini such as a Rikon via Woodcraft. They are generally on sale in the $350 range.

I agree that a mini lathe would probably be the best solution. Craig's List is a great place to find an used lathe for a good price. Mostly likely you will find a quality lathe for the price you would pay for the drill press attachment. I know my local Craig's list always has a few listed for sale.

Good Luck!

Rick

Rink

Thanks for the information folks. I will check the wobble on my drill press before proceeding further. I'm watching craigs list and ebay also. thx, rink.

rossvh

Welcome Rick. You're right - you will find a lot of great information on this site.

I agree with the previous discussions about the drill press. You can't afford any wobble or vibration.

On your question about carbide versus HSS. I have both and even use both, but I have become very comfortable with the carbide chisels when turning pens - especially acrylics. But even carbide chisels get dull so you need to be aware of that and plan on replacing them regularly.

Good Luck!

mredburn

IAP Activities Manager
Staff member
Yes you can use a drill press and a sharpened screwdriver and a 6 inch bolt as a tool rest if you need to. However will you like the results, probably not. There is a reason that its not done that way by everyone here on the forum. And you can bet that if it produced a reasonable pen They wouldnt be buying lathes. My advice is to just save your money and buy the right tools. It may take a little longer to get to turning than the cheaper way buy you wont be left wishing youd saved your money to start with. One of my favorite saying is "There's cheap and then there's stupid" Haunt the forums asking questions and taking notes, plan your purchases and take your time.

Last edited:

ltkrause

I had one and used it to get started. It took all of 3 pens being made before I jumped up to the HF mini lathe. It wasn't bad, it was just very limiting. I knew right away that I wanted to get more technical and you really can't with that setup. You would be better off not wasting the $ on the drill press mandrel. You can get the HF mini lathe with a 20% off coupon for around $100 and it's been working for the past 3 years for me.

Loren

OOPS

I would second what Loren said above. Not knowing whether I would like turning pens, and not having a lot of "excess" money to spread around on a new hobby, I bought the Harbor Freight mini-lathe with variable speed for about $100. I have had it for more than two years and it has been perfect for my penturning needs. Furthermore, if I need something more powerful to turn bowls in the future, my HF lathe can be a buffer. This would be a far better investment than the PSI drill press kit, which I doubt would have any resale.

Bill Sampson

Over 20 years ago, Wood Magazine had a project article about turning pens on a drill press. Even had a method to stabilize the mandrel. I turned several pens using the drill press. I wouldn't do it now and would be embarrased about the quality. Many of my turned barrels went into a "jar of shame". (Term used by my friend John Penberthy.) If you are going to try this method, I would first use $2.00 kits which would make the experience inexpensive.
Note: I still have that Wood Magazine; in fact I have every one published since Wood's inception in 1984. I keep telling myself, "gonna be worth something some day".

Bill Sampson, Richmond

Rink

All good insights that make a lot of sense. Thanks a lot for the viewpoint of experience. I will focus my effort toward a lathe.

Top Bottom