turning pen blanks

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
which tool works the best for turning blanks I know people have their preference. Like today trying to make couple pens out some red malley someone gave me and it turns real hard dulls tool quickly. I was using a 3/4 roughing gauge.[8D]

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Russianwolf

I will use either a gouge or the skew to turn it round, then for actually working it, just the skew. I can get a much smoother surface with the skew which reduces the sandpaper grit needed to start sanding.

Malainse

Originally posted by Russianwolf

I will use either a gouge or the skew to turn it round, then for actually working it, just the skew. I can get a much smoother surface with the skew which reduces the sandpaper grit needed to start sanding.

Same here...

Russianwolf

I'll let someone who knows comment on the Skewed Tutorial ;)

What I can tell you is that I know three was to use the skew. And all three have their benefits.

1) long point down, short point up. This is very effective at knocking the corners off a blank and getting it round. Since the long point is down, it can't get dragged into the blank and make you have a catch. I use it when I want to be agressive and remove alot of material quickly.

2) long point up and short point down. Actually more of a flat orientation really. This is where I take lite shearing cuts and get nice smooth surfaces. You have to be careful of the long point though, as if it contacts the wood you will get a catch. So try to keep it up out of the way. You can play with the orietation on this. the more perpendicular the cutting edge is to the tube axis the more shearing is taking place and the smoother the cut will be.

3) scrapping. you can use the skew as a scrapper. long and short points both in contact (assuming you haven't got a rounded skew). This works nicely on some very dense woods to take that last little bit off and not have any tool marks.

4) I know, I said three, but this one is in a different class. long point down. You can use the skew to make grooves. Use the long point to make the groove and turn the skew to each side to widen the groove until it gets to the desired depth and width. Careful though as you can burn the wood if you let it heat up too much.

Then practice practice practice...... Youcan basically use the skew all on it's own from start to finish for making straight work, coves and beads. It just takes practice.

Thanks for the mini-tutorial, Mike. That was helpful. I use the skew quite often, especially on acrylics, but I've only employed technique #2. I'll have to give the others a try as the situations warrant.

Gentleben

If you think turning a pen out of red mallee is hard, my wife has been working on a small bowl for a month and isn't finished yet. It is turn 2 min and resharpen. She just thought she was geting a bargin when she picked it up at SWAT this year. We both use the Franks formula for turning pen but sometimes use 3/4" skew.

bbqncigars

I've been very happy with my round nose carbide tool that I bought from Ebay seller joebill1 a while back. I bought it to turn some desert ironwood handles, but it works very well on acrylic too. I haven't had to rotate the cutter head yet.

Wayne

DonWood

Hi Wayne - Can you elaborate a little more on the carbide tool that you bought - Which one did you get and approx how many pen blanks have you turned without rotating the tip...

Thanks for the info.

Has anyone else used this tool?

bbqncigars

Don:
I believe it is the 1/2" round nose. I turned two 6" D.I. handles along with a 11" ebony handle before using it on three acrylic pen blanks. No signs of dulling yet. It worked quite well on all materials leaving a finish comparable to 120 grit sandpaper. A well made tool that is a bit of overkill for my little Wilton mini-lathe.

Wayne

R2

I'm with Pipeyeti but with a modified approach for hard timbers or timbers that are prone to splitting.I Take the corners off the banks before I turn. this is done with a sander. on larger blanks for other projects you can plane corners off.

bob winegar

Hi Alan,

I think you'll find that a roughing gouge and a spindlemaster (3/4 or one inch)will be all you will need. You will need to keep them sharp, though. Have fun.

Bob Winegar

Top Bottom