turning palm

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Status
Not open for further replies.

Rifleman1776

I picked up some palm (wood?) yesterday. Not sure why except it has an interesting grain structure and I am a sucker for things unusual. Question: [?] Does anyone know if it turns well and does it sand smoothly and finish O.K.? This was not cheap stuff. I'm hoping I dun gud.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

woodpens

Palm is pretty neat wood. I recommend making a pen with plenty of shape to it. The more curve you have, the better the grain will look. I assume you bought straight grain blanks since you didn't mention it being cross-cut. I like the cross-cut wood even better than straight grain. Use sharp tools and take it slow. The wood tends to tear if you cut too aggressively. Wipe the wood with some denatured alcohol on a paper towel or rag to clean it before applying the finish. I am sure it will look great.

G

I bought a big chunk of it and turned one pen cross grain.
It was a bi(*)ch to turn but the results were worth it!
Second page of my album top left
http://www.penturners.org/forum/photo_album_view.asp?cname=Main+Album&mid=402&cid=423&page=2

DCBluesman

Passed Away Mar 3, 2016
In Memoriam
Keep in mind that palm "wood" is really grass. It takes very sharp tools and light cuts or it tears out like mad. I'm not crazy about the final results, consequently palm is near the bottom of "woods I like to turn" list.

Rifleman1776

Interesting, I really bought it to make a gavel, Got extra for pen blanks or whatever. Got two sticks, a 1 1/2"sq x 2' and a 3"sq x 2'. Thanks for tips, light cuts with sharp tools it is. If I end up with something I'm not ashamed of, I'll post a picture later.

Scott

Hi Frank,

If I can make a suggestion, if you want to use the palm to make a gavel, you might be really glad if you sent the piece off and had it stabilized. Palm wood might chip or fracture along the grain if struck, like you would with a gavel. Good luck! I'd really like to see this when you get it done!

Scott.

woodscavenger

I got two blanks in an assortment pack. Sharpen, then sharpen again. Tear out sucks but the grain in quite interesting. I am working on a modified slimline with a paduk center band. It is sitting next to me on the mandrel with the finish curing. I will post a pick when I can.

I do like the cross cut version posted by Eaglesc....I might have to try one. Good luck with yours Rifleman.

woodscavenger

I just posted this in another place but this is my recent palm pen. It is red palm, paduk details, slimline kit, friction finish.

200512441433_15-palm-paduk-slimline.jpg
<br />

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom