Turning my first Premier Cigar Pen

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Bigcountry

I have prepared an Ambrosia Maple blank to turn into a Cigar Pen. I thought I would solicit the group to see if there are any tips or something specific to look out for when turning a cigar pen. Thus far I have only turned about 15 slimlines. Thanks

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

johnnycnc

Hi Eric,
I think the most common pitfall on the Cigar pens is the bushing sizes,
or more specifically making sure you get the blanks turned to the right bushing at the right place so they match the fittings.
A common mistake is mixing up the upper and lower barrels,
the lower is a bit longer, and has smaller diameters.
If you turn the upper blank to the lower bushings, well..not good.
The lower barrel length is specific for the refill length to be right.
I usually mark each blank, upper and lower, then make sure I know what size
each end needs to be and match the bushings.
I mark mine A, B, C, D with a sharpie, and always turn from clip to nib as I go thru the letters.
You can even mark the letters on your blanks, after you are sure, but that might be a little overkill!
Enjoy your first Cigar!:biggrin:

Bigcountry

Great thoughts, Thank you. I am planning on turning tomorrow. If all goes well I will try to post a pic tomorrow night.

I don't mark my bushing like Johnny, but I do lay out the blank and bushings in the order they need to go. I also turn from cap/clip to the nib.

Also if you have a set, it's a good idea to check your bushing with caliphers to make sure they match the fittings... cigars do seem to have a variance in the bushing sizes between the various manufacturers.

Top Bottom