Turning metals with wood tools.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Hello all. Sorry for the newby question.
I just bought an Easy Pen Turner from CSUSA.

http://www.woodturnerscatalog.com/s..._Tools___Easy_Pen_Turner___ewt_pen_tool?Args=

90 bucks is kind of expensive, but I am committed to get the best tools and equipment I can afford, one step at a time, of course. I also have a set of Benjamin Best rough, parting and skew tools. My question is if these tools can be used to turn metals. My guess is that soft metals like aluminum or brass can be done. If so, how hard is on the edge of the tool the turning of these metals?:confused:

gawdelpus

Passed Away May 11, 2015
In Memoriam
The answer to your question is yes ,you can cut the softer metals with wood tools, the question is how much cutting and your methods used. The principles of metal cutting are vastly different to wood cutting . A lot of factors come into play, cutting speeds tool angles clearances feeds etc etc. All these come into play ,some hardwoods will take the edge of high speed tools ,metals will do so but much quicker , I certainly would not try a gauge or parting tool on metal, maybe a scraping action with a skew set at centre height and the tool horizontal to the workpiece ,similar to the usage of the pen pro and similar carbide tools ,in fact the pen pro carbide tipped tool is probably your best bet for cutting metals . Might take some practise but so do all tools need a learning curve :). Good luck with it , Cheers ~ John

Top Bottom