Turning M3

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Fibonacci

I am fairly new to turning, but I really like the look of the M3 blanks.

I have a couple questions that I didn't see addressed elsewhere.

How much "heft" do these have? I have read the hype and marketing for them, but given my materials experience with other similar products, I am concerned that they might be light and/or feel cheap.

How tough are these to turn? Do they have a tendancy to split out? Do they wreak havok on your tools? Do they require any special handling?

Will I have issues using a wood lathe with them?

I am looking real hard at the sale randbcrafts is having on them.

Thanks!

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

IPD_Mrs

These have a good weight to them. They are not light weight by any means. It is a bit of a chore to turn them with a skew, but it is quite doable. It does require frequent sharpening. Now if you have a Wood Chuck Pen Pro with the carbide inserts then it is an easy turn. Either way they will turn just fine on a wood lathe. Personally I have been quite happy with these and have never had an issue with them.

PenMan1

Three Things:

1. M3 makes BEATIFUL pens.
2. WOODCHUCK Pen Pro (nuff said)
3. When M3 starte, if you blew up a blank, they would replace it. I doubt they do that anymore......and wear a face shield.

Well 4 things...dipping the Woodchuck in WD40 or cold water makes for a smoother and quicker cut.

Fibonacci

Three Things:

1. M3 makes BEATIFUL pens.
2. WOODCHUCK Pen Pro (nuff said)
3. When M3 starte, if you blew up a blank, they would replace it. I doubt they do that anymore......and wear a face shield.

Well 4 things...dipping the Woodchuck in WD40 or cold water makes for a smoother and quicker cut.

A face shield is a given.

I woud love to pick up a woodchuck pen pro, but as recently as I got the lathe, I am not going to be able to buy one of those until I start selling some stuffs.

turff49

Don't get too aggressive with your cuts. When it feels like you are having to push to get a cut, stop, and resharpen. I found out the hard way several years ago you can blow these blanks apart. They by far are my favorite pens. They have a feel and look unlike any other.
Brian

76winger

Put it on your credit card. You don't have to pay cash for one.

I used to think that way until I found myself with more CC debt than annual income thanks to my impatience. Never again baby! Cash is King, Debt is Dumb and the paid for woodshop is the status symbol of choice on my block! (yes, I stole that from Dave Ramsey, with a slight modification) :biggrin:

leestoresund

What the other specific comments said.
I like the weight. It works really well on a Jr. Gent and Reinhardt.
The metal polish you get with it will really take a shine to it.
No more difficult to turn than Trustone.

Lee

brewtang

Make sure to wear a mask while turning. It is metal dust after all. And I wear nitrile gloves, particularly if you wet sand them.

Billy

I agree with Lee...very similar to trustone to turn. Messy when you are wetsanding but the end result with the included polish is an excellent finish and shine. I like the weight of them as well.

IPD_Mrs

Well I guess I opened my mouth and got my foot jammed in it. I had never had a problem with an M3 blowing out before until tonight. :frown:

Turned the blank round to 3/4" and cut the blank to length for the tubes. Was going to put a black and white on an Imperial. I like to drill on the lathe so I put the blank in the collet chuck and as always flushed the back end of the blank to the bottom of the collet. I feel that the collet chuck helps to keep blanks from blowing out. Was drilling with a 35/64" bit and the blank blew apart. I have no idea how many of these I have done but that was the first to ever blow out. Well I had not drilled the other half yet so I was able to salvage something out of the blank. I think I can still recoup my money with this pen. :)

bwbeauty.jpg

Curly

Fibonacci, your questions got me curious so I went down to the shop and weighed the blanks I have plus a few more to compare to. It should help with the heft portion of your post.

M3
Black Gold Mokume; 100 & 112 grams.
Damascus Steel; 80 & 88 grams

4 different kinds of Truestone blanks; 92, 100, 102, & 112 grams. Note; These are 1/2" longer than the others.

2 acrylics; 56 & 60 grams. :)

Virgin green PVC sewer pipe; 66 grams.

Can't say anything about the working properties of them

Pete

Top Bottom