Turning Lucite

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

ed4copies

Local Chapter Manager
In this thread: Plastic?

the question was asked, how are the numerous types of plastic blanks different from each other. I gave a short (possibly terse) answer and I was surprised how much interest the thread got.

Our new librarian (and one of my good friends), Wayne suggested that we try to get answers that were "library-worthy" and incorporate this as an article. Honestly, I think that is such a good idea that I am starting a few of these threads and I will incorporate the information into an article for Exotics and make it available to the IAP Library.

Lucite is a tradename. The product is commercially cast and sold as pen blanks.

I believe Lucite is slightly less "chippy" than Acrylester, and the "end product pen" is, usually very translucent. As a result the patterns can be very dramatic, making the pen desirable.

I will let others give more information on Lucite.

ExoticBlanks has introduced a "look-alike" called "Lucitylic". This is an acrylic product that is less expensive, turns much easier and the final product looks like Lucite.

Haynie

I really like turning Lucite. Here is what I have learned

1-Best to sand off the corners before turning. Less chipping this way
2-If you don't sand the corners down then expect sharp chips to fly everywhere. You will be reminded why it is important to wear the face shield
3-I have not had an issue with cutting Lucite to size but still wrap the cut area with tape to avoid chipping
4-I lube with WD40. Water did not allow as clean a drill hole
5-Go slow at the end of the hole or stop short to avoid losing part of the blank. The lube helps here too
6-Sharp tools and sharp bits.

Something in the turning world I have experience with. Lucite pens look amazing when all shined up.

Top Bottom