Turning Kitless

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Sawdust46

I'm at the stage that I'm considering an attempt at kitless. I have done some research and have a question (I hope this is not one of those stupid questions.)
Is it reasonable to attempt kitless pens on a wood lathe? In my research I continually encounter phrases that lead me to think most kitless is being done on metal lathes.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

turbowagon

All of my kitless pens were done on a wood lathe. I have no idea how to use a metal lathe, and am not considering one at this time. Here are some of the ones I've made on my Delta 46-460 wood lathe:

as0009_bronze_clip1.jpg

psycho_open.jpg

cumberland_ebonite_fp1.jpg

rwb_ebonite_fp1.jpg

ipd_contest_entry1.jpg

rwb_cigar_fountain2.jpg

colonial_blue_rb2.JPG

kryptonite_fp2.jpg

0330_mochaccino_custom2.jpg

pith_2012a.jpg

- Joe

Last edited:

turbowagon

Must-have accessories for the wood lathe (the make kitless pens) include:

- collet chuck w/ full range of collets
- die holder for the tailstock
- digital calipers
- taps and dies for the threaded connections

Sawdust46

You have made some beautiful pens! I hope I can create something that even approaches your pens.
Thanks for the quick response. I guess that means I can go ahead and invest in some more taps, dies, nibs etc.

LL Woodworks

All my kitless are made on a wood lathe as well (Jet mini-lathe) with the accessories mentioned above, even the aluminum section shown in the one below, all on a wood lathe. Good Luck!

Attachments

• tn_SIG05_FP.JPG
    tn_SIG05_FP.JPG
    23.8 KB · Views: 412
  • tn_Sig_09.JPG
    tn_Sig_09.JPG
    52.3 KB · Views: 357

plantman

:bananen_smilies022::bananen_smilies022: I do 99% of my work on the mini metal lathe. All of my collet chucks, die holders, drill chucks, and other items will fit on it as well as on my smaller wood lathe. I find this quite handy because I can change from one operation to another just by moving the whole setup from one lathe to the other without taking anything out of the chucks. It realy doesn't matter what kind of lathe you have, as most threading is done by hand without power anyway. I could do all the operations on the wood lathe as well, even on the Shop Smith if need be. The only time you would realy need a metal lathe would be to turn custom threads with an auto feed under power or ornamental designs. A good example of these would be a Rose Engine, Wood Wizard, or Holtzapfel lathe used for ornamental turnings. One thing I would add to the must have list is a 60* live center for your tailstock. Check the articles in the library for more info. " One small step for man, one big leap for advancement ". Good Luck Jim S

Last edited:

frank123

I do all the mechanical aspects -drilling threading fitting the feed, making the cap depth perfect, and such- on my metal lathe and the turning to shape on my wood lathe. It's just easier for me that way, I don't see why everything couldn't be done on either of the machines exclusively with the right tooling.

Sawdust46

I just posted photos of my first kitless but I went ahead and watched the video. I am constantly amazed at how helpful most IAP members are. Thanks guys.

Gilrock

It's more of a question of how much time it will take. I started on the wood lathe and after getting the metal lathe I find it so much faster to make a tenon a precise size. If you're a master craftsman on a wood lathe you can probably do it just as fast or faster. But for an amateur like me the metal lathe makes it easier. I drill and cut threads on the metal lathe and use the wood lathe to finalize the shape.

Top Bottom