Turning Ipe

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Status
Not open for further replies.

C_Ludwigsen

Hi folks,

A friend here at the office just gave me some Ipe cut-offs from the lawn arbor he is building. Several of the pieces are about 5" long. I was thinking about using a few of the pieces for pens.

What do you think? Have any of you turned pens from this wood?

Thanks.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

C_Ludwigsen

Thanks Rudy,

It does appear a bit bland to me as well. However, a guy came by my office, saw it on the desk, and asked for a fountain pen from it. Guess he sees something in it that I didn't. [:D]

Just placed the kit order.

C_Ludwigsen

Rudy, I cut 3 pen blanks about 7/8" square from a 5" section of Ipe 2x4 tonight. This stuff sure is dense and should make for a nice pen. The guy that gave me the cutoffs also called it by the name, Brazilian Ironwood. Are you familiar with this name?

Rudy Vey

Originally posted by C_Ludwigsen
<br />Rudy, I cut 3 pen blanks about 7/8" square from a 5" section of Ipe 2x4 tonight. This stuff sure is dense and should make for a nice pen. The guy that gave me the cutoffs also called it by the name, Brazilian Ironwood. Are you familiar with this name?

Yes, I have heard that name, too. Some years ago I bought a large quantity of Mahogany at a place in Ohio and they had some Ipe for decking material laying around. I lifted up one of the boards, and ma, was that heavy, the owner came around and told me that it is called also Braz. ironwood because of its weight. One of the wood working magazines had not too long ago an article about Ipe (think it was "Wood"). I got mine from off-cuts from a company that has all types of exotic flooring materials (Hardwood Liquidators(?)).
The wood is so heavy that it sinks in water and does not rot at all.

Rudy

melchioe

It's also called Brazilian walnut. It has a class A fire rating (same as concrete and steel). Ipe is one of many commercial names used for the Lapacho group of trees from the various species of Tabebuia. There are a number of species: Tabebuia avellandedae, Tabebuia ipe and Tabebuia serratifolia of the family Bignoniaceae (Before you start thinking I'm an expert, I found the info in a web search - I've heard of it before, and was intrigued).

Material can be difficult to work and difficult to saw. Hardness of material can cause a blunting effect to cutting edges.

It's pronounced ee-pay.

C_Ludwigsen

COOL, Ed. Thanks for all the background. I'll let you know how it turns and what the pen looks like. I like how heavy it is. It is also nice to know that this pen will likely survive a fire and being lost in the yard [:p]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom