Turning Ipe?

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Status
Not open for further replies.

bob393

Has anyone turned epi?

I can't get it to stop cracking at the ends of the tubes.
Actually it's cracking on the thin slimlines not the the heavier euros.
I could be overheating it when I finish it but I don't think so.
I can't tell when the crack appears, it might even be when I press the parts together.

Just more confusion.

Actually it looks so much like Black Walnut I may not turn it any more. It's a pretty common high end deck wood sometimes marketed under the brand "Iron Wood".

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

woodmarc

I have turn quite a bit of Ipe', without any problems. I have made Pens, cups, bowls and a few shallow bowls/dishes from the stuff. Other than my own shortsightedness, I have no problems. I find that it cuts nicely.

underdog

How about Macarandube, or Cumaru?

This company had stacks of samples for their prospective customers at the IWF this year. http://www.stackingsticker.com/page1.htm
I got some Ipe, Macarandube, and Cumaru. I'm wondering how these woods act and look...

At least I think they are all different... They are all different colors and grain looks different. I almost turned on of them on a pen last night... But didn't know enough about these woods. I was afraid they might be a bit oily or heat crack or something.

bob393

I can't believe I spelled it wrong!
I was just going to ask if we were all talking about the same wood, googled my spelling and you guys are right it's Ipe. My bad.

Underdog
I never turned them but you should go ahead and do it, let us know how they come out.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom