Turning PR Blanks with Carbide Tools

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

magpens

I was just reading some new listings on the AZS website for abalone blanks which are cast in PR.

The listings state emphatically that carbide tools should NOT be used for turning any PR blanks.

Can anybody please tell me why that is ? . I am quite sure I have done that successfully.

Last edited:
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

ed4copies

Local Chapter Manager
Instructions are written to the lowest common denominator.

Lots of things CAN be done with carbide (or any other tool) presented properly and used carefully. However, when writing instructions NEVER assume "proper" or "careful".

DAMHIKT!!!

Enjoy your successes!!!!

edstreet

There is a huge issue with abalone and PR resin. There can be lamination when turning. Therefore the suggestion is to use sharp chisels that are way sharper than carbide is to turn the material.

mbroberg

IAP Activities Manager, Emeritus
I stopped using HSS tools. I turn everything with carbide. I have not found any material that could not be turned with carbide. Some material is more difficult than others, (i.e. aluminum rod) but that is also true with HHS. There may be materials or situations where only HSS tools will work. I have not found one yet. I did pick up some abalone blanks while at the MAPG. Once I find time to turn them I'll let you know how it went.

Top Bottom