Turning PR blanks

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

stevebuk

hi
i have just bought some poly resin blanks to have a go at, i have never turned this stuff before, but i am told it is a lot harder than acrylic, has anyone turned this before, and any tips with it, dont want to ruin it.
many thanks

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

karlkuehn

Banned
I use a skew only on PR. I've seen all types of gouges pop off serious chunks, and gluing PR back together is pretty tricky if theres a pattern in it.

Just make sure you go slow and sharp. If you've turned acrylics, and if the PR is any good, you should be able to use some of the same techniques. Just watch the initial turning until you knock the corners off. When I first started, I'd knock the corners down with a sander. Matter of fact, I still use that method sometimes on odd casting stuff.

DozerMite

Banned
I think it depends on who cast the PR.

If it is Acrylester, be prepared! That stuff is extremely brittle. I haven't ever lost one, but they are an experience.
The Aquapearl from Hut seems to be a little bit of a challenge as well.
The PR I cast has never seemed to be brittle. I have been fairly aggressive with it and used tools that were not quite as sharp as they could be. Haven't lost one of them either( other than some not so attractive color results). I even tried to break a blank with a hammer, no luck.
Just my opinion...

wdcav1952

Activities Manager Emeritus
Originally posted by karlkuehn

Originally posted by ed4copies

(Sing-song voice employed)

Karl is a wimp!!!

(sing-song turned off)

BUT, good advice!

Hehe...I'm a wimp who hasn't lost a blank in the last 50 pens or so! Stinker! Go comb your mustache. :D

Good God, Karl, that is terrible advice!!!!!!!!!! If Ed were to comb that mustache there is no telling what might be released into the atmosphere!!!!!!!! ;)

skiprat

Passed Away Mar 22, 2022
In Memoriam
Besides the advice already given. Practice on the black one. I will send you couple more spare black ones tomorrow. ;)
If you practice between centres on a solid piece, then you wont have to do the drilling etc. But you can still use the rounded blank later.

stevebuk

many thanks for all the excellent advice given, i will have my first attempt tommorow, thanks ed for the fantsatic video, really enjoy watching them, i wish you would make one where you completely build the pen, so we can see a pro at work.

Hi steven
the blanks are fantastic, i will try with the black one first, trying to order some different styles of kit, slim line is a waist of the blanks i think.
Thank you one and all:D

Top Bottom