Turning and Finishing Antler help

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

DK61

I have never turned or finished a pen with antler. Looking for some advice/tips/help so I can turn a bolt action pen as a going away gift. How does antler turn? What should I expect? What is the best way to finish it? Sand it? buff it?

Appreciate the help.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

BSea

#1 - USE A MASK!!!

It's easy to turn. I try & leave a little of the bark. That way you can tell it's really antler. I use CA for finishing. It fills the pours nicely. Oh, and be sure and WEAR A MASK!! Antler really stink when turning, and even when cutting on the bandsaw.

And if I haven't mentioned it already, WEAR A MASK! People have been known to get sick from breathing in the antler dust.

Ross

I turned my first antler yesterday for a bolt action pen. As previously stated, WEAR A MASK! The dust is hazardous. I set up my vac to pick up the sanding dust and used a dust mask and full face shield. I sanded to 12000 with Micro Mash and then used wax. Ended up with a nice finish. I used some antler that a friend gave me which was several years old. The question I have not been able to find an answer to is whether freshly harvested antler (road kill) can be turned or needs to age for a while to dry. I have done some limited online research but have not found an answer yet.

KenV

1. Les Elm has a great Tutorial named "Drilling Antler". http://tinyurl.com/l2dz4cg

2. I only turn northern antler that is well cured. I have never notice an odor problem. Perhaps it is more common with southern antler?

3. Antler needs to cure/dry before trying to work it.

4. It turns well with standard tooling.

5. If you get into the spongy center, you will need to fill with CA, cactus juice, epoxy, etc.

6. You can use Cactus Juice with antler -- and with weathered drops, it is a big help.

7. No dust is good for you and bone dust (antlers are bone according to the science) is bad for the lungs.

TimS124

I like to rub in some Boiled Linseed Oil (BLO) on freshly turned antler before applying the CA finish...it really brings up the character of the antler.

Try it on scrap first to make sure that's the effect you're after! I've turned antler that looks solid white and had some really cool patterns show up after I oiled...both were cool looks so it depends on what you're looking for!

CA applies just fine right on top of fresh BLO. I tend to turn antler with a carbide tipped tool held to produce a shear scrape. Light cuts produce curls of shavings that look like shredded coconut and leave a very clean finish.

The bone particles are very hard on your lungs...wear a PROPER mask (the crummy paper slip-on cheap ones are not going to save your lungs/life).

Top Bottom