Turning end grain blanks

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Status
Not open for further replies.

JohnDrayton

Since I'm new to the pen turning world,, although am completly hooked,, I have a piece of blue spruce cut across the end grain, has the most beautiful grain, I would like to try a pen turned across the end grain, is there something I should know?? or will it turn OK? I have worked it to a semi round on the disk sander approx 3/4" and the grain only gets better, purple and white!!!
J.D. Drayton

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
You don't say whether it is stabilized or not. Use thin CA to smake it stable & then sharp tools & light cuts. If you turn past the CA then stop and add more.

Rifleman1776

Straight 90 degree cross-cut will be very difficult. Bias cut works much better and usually gives a more interesting appearance. Stabilizing or generous use of ca. Much easier way is to find another piece of wood. [:p]

ctEaglesc

Passed Away Jul 4, 2008
In Memoriam
Thios may be something to consider.
If the Sap in the spruce is acid, CA will not "Set"
Sweep the floor first, it's easier to find the pieces.[:D]
Sharp tools.

JohnDrayton

I took everyones' advice. The wood is juniper not spruce as I told everyone. I "turned" the end grain using a rasp and sandpaper, tried to cut it but I think my tools were not sharp enough. anyway this turned out to be the most beautiful pen I have made!! I gave it to my wifeie, really made points!!! Thanks for the help, without it I would have ruined the blank!

J.D. Drayton

J.D. Drayton

Rifleman1776

Originally posted by JohnDrayton
<br />I took everyones' advice. The wood is juniper not spruce as I told everyone. I "turned" the end grain using a rasp and sandpaper, tried to cut it but I think my tools were not sharp enough. anyway this turned out to be the most beautiful pen I have made!! I gave it to my wifeie, really made points!!! Thanks for the help, without it I would have ruined the blank!

J.D. Drayton

J.D. Drayton

Congratulations on your determination and success. Howzabout a picture?

chigdon

Definately bring on the picture.

I forget who's post I read with the idea but I have had good success with cross cut wood using a 1/16" parting tool. It is slow going but it works very well.

Eagle, very good suggestion with cleaning the floor first!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom