Turning Ed's Snake

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Hayseedboy

All,

Have a couple of Ed's snake skin blanks that I want to start on maybe later tonight. What speed do you all turn them at?

Haven't turned any Acrylics past 1200 and wondering if I should speed it up?

Yes.. My tools are sharp :)

thanks in advance,

Larry

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

ed4copies

Local Chapter Manager
Having clarified that I am the "Ed" in question, here's my take on the answer.

Our (Dawn and I) approach to polyresin has been based on ease of turning, not ease of making the blanks. All of Dawn's "Pen Potion #9" blanks are slightly "softer" than many commercial blanks. So, they are less prone to "chipping" off and, therefore, cracking.

I have advised Larry to use a roughing gouge to get to "round" (he is comfortable with this tool - that determines what tool to use). The measure of success is the "structure" of the pieces coming off the blank. IF you are making nice ribbons, all is well. IF you start creating tiny pellets -- rethink your approach. (For those who have turned a lot of plastic and are now saying, "THAT isn't right - I throw LOTS of pellets and still end up with a good pen, ----- So do I, NOW!!! But when learning, AVOID this.)

The entire pen CAN be turned with a roughing gouge, however, I SUGGEST using a smaller tool to refine the ends when the pen is neating completion. OR the 120 grit gouge, if you are CHICKEN (and smart, sometimes).

ANY questions, e-mail or call me ---- Always happy to help.

Thanks for using OUR blanks!!!

Post the GREAT pen you will create!!!:D:D:D

ed4copies

Local Chapter Manager
Originally posted by ligget

I turn all at 3,500rpm![8D]:)

My "production" lathe in the basement won't go this fast. My "demo" lathe goes nearly 4000 - (I turn as fast as the lathe will go ---NOW --- 'Twasn't always the case!!) Turn as fast as you can COMFORTABLY!!!!

IF you are afraid of the blank, BAD things happen, so always stay in YOUR comfort zone.

skiprat

Passed Away Mar 22, 2022
In Memoriam
I get dizzy and feel sick when I turn more than about 3 revs a minute.
I have the same effect when standing up. Fortunately, my knees are programmed not to unfold quickly.

Hope this helps;)

Ligget

Originally posted by skiprat

I get dizzy and feel sick when I turn more than about 3 revs a minute.
I have the same effect when standing up. Fortunately, my knees are programmed not to unfold quickly.

Hope this helps;)

Your centre of gravity is lower than mine so I will fall over before you! lol ;):D

randyrls

Originally posted by ed4copies

Having clarified that I am the "Ed" in question, here's my take on the answer.

I have advised Larry to use a roughing gouge to get to "round" (he is comfortable with this tool - that determines what tool to use).

Ed; I mount the blanks on the mandrel and the knock off the corners with a drum sander. I do this with acrylic blanks and sometimes wood blanks too!

My normal tool is a skew, but as you say, "The best tool is the one you are most familiar with"

Top Bottom