turning ebonite

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

ed4copies

Local Chapter Manager
In this thread: Plastic?

the question was asked, how are the numerous types of plastic blanks different from each other. I gave a short (possibly terse) answer and I was surprised how much interest the thread got.

Our new librarian (and one of my good friends), Wayne suggested that we try to get answers that were "library-worthy" and incorporate this as an article. Honestly, I think that is such a good idea that I am starting a few of these threads and I will incorporate the information into an article for Exotics and make it available to the IAP Library.

Ebonite is actually "hard rubber", a predecessor of plastics. You can tell it is a rubber product, when drilling and turning it smells strongly of burning rubber.

Drilling requires you to keep the heat down and turning is fairly easy. Polishing ebonite is a labor of love. It is often black and the material will show a "scratch" if one of the threads of your buffing wheel hits it wrong.

Again, I leave the comments to others, since ebonite is NOT one of my favorite materials.

Joe S.

Keep in mind here I have only turned 1 stick of inky black ebonite.

I actually really like the stuff, as long as the dust mask stays on! It was (again, for me the one time I've tried it) easy to drill, and came out in 2 long ribbons. Turning was easy, and the ribbons that came off were pretty strong, so it was a hassle when they would get caught on the lathe and start whipping around. The finish was hard to do, and I never got it flawless, or even close. I like it, and I'm excited to turn another pen with it.

Top Bottom