Turning / Drilling Aluminum Help Needed

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Status
Not open for further replies.

thetalbott4

I would love to get into the aluminum pen turning but am having trouble drilling the blanks. Looked in the archives and didnt find any specifics.

I have tried drilling fast, slow, and in between. Altered feed rates, and I bought some brand new bits with no change. I cant get further than 1/4" in before it starts guming up and causing problems. I gotta be missing something.

Is there an alloy that is better than others? Bits? Past that, what do I need to know about the actual turning?

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

smoky10

The best aluminum rod to use is 6061, it is softer and easier to turn. When drilling, on the lathe, I use high speed and mist with water to keep cool. Someone here told me to mist and it helps a lot. On the drill press go slow and squirt, in the hole, with water frequently.

Fangar

First thing to do is find a way to drill it on your lathe. It always works better to spin the stock and hold the drill stationary. I drill at 1800 rpm. You will need to use a light lube. Thread cutting oil is best, but I usually use WD-40. A 5/8" collet chuck works well for the 5/8" T6061 that I use. Also, a Scroll chuck with pin / dowel jaws. Here are some photos that I took recently:

04.jpg

06.jpg

07.jpg

08.jpg

09.jpg

10.jpg

This is a closed end being drilled, hence the step down on the last couple of photos. If you are drilling on a press, you will get quite a bit of wander, not matter what bits you use. You can see that I use the simple Titanium coated bits. Cobalt are better in my opinion for metals. A simple HSS jobber bit works fine too.

Cheers,

Fangar

PatLawson

>>Is there an alloy that is better than others? Bits? Past that, what do I need to know about the actual turning?<<

6061 aluminum is what you need. I use regular drill bits (kept sharp with a Drill Dr.), and I use cutting oil when drilling and you also definiteyl need it for sanding/polishing if you want a highly polished surface. I put a little cutting oil on the drill and in the hole and it does fine.
For turning you can use regular turning tools and a wood lathe, but it does go slow and the chips are hot and sharp. It is much easier to do them on a metal lathe. If someday you want to try copper - definitely get a metal lathe! Copper is much harder and likes to "dimple" and give you a really bad time! It turns out beautifully on a metal lathe though.

Pat L.

Laguna Beach, CA USA
http://pensbypatricia.com/NewPens

PatLawson

Originally posted by Ron Mc
<br />...Where would one purchase 6061 aluminum rods?

Ron! Fancy meeting you here! [:)]
You can buy 6061 aluminum rod at Online Metals http://onlinemetals.com
They will sell you as much, or as little as you want. It's 52 cents a foot I believe, (plus shipping). And if you register on their site, you'll get 5% off every order.

Pat

Laguna Beach, CA USA
http://pensbypatricia.com/NewPens

Tom McMillan

When I made a couple aluminum and brass pens I got 6061 aluminum from a local hardware store (it's a pretty complete hardware store), and what I got was predrilled (perfect for inserting 7mm tubes. Probably cost a little more, but seemed easier than trying to drill the aluminun for me. Seemed like it came in about a 10 or 12 inch length.

Ron Mc

Pat? Is that you? [:D]
Thanks for the assist everyone! I may have to try this in conjunction with some other ideas bouncing back and forth in the abyss![;)]

Fangar

Though it can be done, I would not recommend using your nice HSS tools on the aluminum. The amount of heat generated can cause a change in tempering that might reduce the ability of your tools to hold and edge. I made a simple scraper out of an HSS steel cutter that I rounded on a grinder. I welded on a threaded rod and turned a handle for it. It is quite heavy and chews right through the aluminum. Here are some photos that I have posted before.

tool1.jpg

tool2.jpg

edge.jpg

handle.jpg

Cheers,

Fangar

TomServo

Talbott: a scraper is appropriate - you might also consider using a light oil when turning them. If you use a little oil (I use grease sometimes) it'll keep the temperatures down and you could use your regular turning tools. Aluminum is usually machined with HSS tooling in manufacturing.. Fangar has a good point with his HSS chunk there, but if you don't have the wherewithal to make a similar tool, you can easily use your regular HSS scraper, just use a little WD-40 or what-have-you when you turn it to keep the tools and aluminum from getting too hot. I think you would just use a very sharp edge, rather than having a bur.

Fangar

Originally posted by thetalbott4
<br />James- Is the scraper the only or just the best type of tool shape to use?

Scott,

Really for me, it is the shape that I use for most of my pen turning. That and my skew (Though very seldom for me). For the aluminum, I only use the sraper. Keep in mind I run my lathe at the highest speed for aluminum. 3200+ or whatever it is on the Jet. I ain't messing with no skew in that range! [;)] Also, a face shield and respiratory protection is required for me. Aluminum dust is not good.

Fangar

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom