Turning Demonstration

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

arjudy

I was approached by the Men's Ministries Director at our church and was asked if I would be willing to show a few guys how to turn a pen and then let them turn one for themselves. I have 2 lathes so it shouldn't be a problem but what I was wondering was which kit would be the best for someone to turn that has never even turned a lathe on? I was thinking slimline for ease of assembly but that might not be the best choice. Any suggestions? I appreciate any feedback you are willing to give. Thanks.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Gentleben

I've use slimline, apprentice cigar, and European kits with not turning students. All turned out fine. I just made sure I had a page of directions for each kit. Good luck. It's a lot of fun to see from very young (8) to older (70 +) ladies and gentlemen turn a beautiful pen that anyone would be proud to carry.

Tea Clipper

I'd recommend the cigar kit. It is easy to assemble and has more 'meat' on it -- that is, it is more forgiving to the new turner who may undercut the bushings. It's thicker section may also help guard against blowouts as well.

Wood Butcher

Local Chapter Leader
I've been doing demos and teaching classes on pen turning at the local Rockler store for a long time and have found that the Slimline, cigar, designer/euro, sierra and almost any other single blank pen works well with the newbies. I use the CA glue finish on all but acrylics. I have been laminating blanks with aluminum, copper and brass with some fun designs for the "new season" starting in September. One thing that has worked well is to have the newbie turn half after you turn the other half. It is so cool to see someones expression when they finish the assembly and hold a perfectly finished pen. I taught a 9 year old boy how to make a cigar for his dad last year for father's day and taught his dad how to turn one for his father, good experience. When doing a 2 or 3 hour demo it is a perfect chance to demonstrate my faith and have a good time. Oh, and they pay me and occasionally I can sell a pen or two.

follow3

I would recomend the Sierra. It is easy and fast to turn. It is the easiest pen to assemble. It will give them a great looking finished product that their significant other will probably snatch up right away.

And...maybe have some BOW for them to turn. Not only will it be fitting for a church group, but it is also very east to turn, looks and smells great also.

Steve

jskeen

I would agree with the single barrel style, either a sierra, elegant beauty or Pacifica. The Click versions are proving very popular as well, and some variation is available at most local woodcraft/rockler type stores. It's not a cheap kit though. If you have time to order, the pacifica from www.woodpenpro.com at $6.95 is probably the most economical.

James

thewishman

Cigar pen - just like you taught me over two years ago. Inexpensive, great display of wood, lots of plating choices.

The cigar has the extra advantage of having all four blank ends covered with hardware, and that hardware can help disguise a less-than-perfect fit.

Good luck!

Chris

George7

I would suggest a streamline/comfort pen kit. (I never use the rubber part of the comfort pen.) It's basically just a thicker slimline. I think it gives a bit more freedom than a slimline. It lends itself to an asymmetrical taper that allow slight overturning to be corrected by shortening the barrel.

arjudy

I changed my mind sort of. I am going with the Pacifica from WoodPenPro. I was impressed with the quality of the different center bands and the price was good too. I can't wait to get the kits and turn one of them.

bobaltig

Well contrary to what others have said, I wouldn't use a Cigar pen for a first attempt. First, it's a two blank kit. Second, the length of the lower barrel can prove critical.

I personally think the slimline isn't all that easy to turn either if you're going to do it correctly because the wood must be turned so close to the brass tube. And once you're done, there just isn't that much pen to hold in your hand. Not really impressive as far as I'm concerned. I still use slimline kits, but mostly just use that kit for experimenation on custom designs. The kits are inexpensive and if my idea doesn't turn out well, I haven't spent a lot of money on a kit for a losing idea.

Use the Sierra. One blank, easy to assemble - just one part to press in - and very impressive looking when done. Others will disagree, but that's what I'd do in your situation.

Bob

Top Bottom