Turning a closed end pen

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

brownsfn2

I want to start turning closed end pens and create some custom finials. I am wondering what I need to do it.

I know some have used the pin chucks to mount the blank. My question is whether or not I need those if I just get a collet chuck? Can I just do the entire closed end pen in a collect? I know I can use that for finials. I just was not sure if I could use it for closed end pens.

Thanks for your advice.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Russianwolf

yes, you can make a closed end pen in a collet chuck, but the sides need to be fairly flat so the collet can grab it without damaging it. remember that the collet will be gripping the outside of pen.

a pin chuck can be made easily (a transfer punch and a piece of heavy guage wire) and will fit into your collet chuck. It grips the inside, so better for doing the finishing at least.

its_virgil

I was trying to type a reply while in the truck (not driving) but too rough. Special closed end pen mandrels and pin chucks work great no special tooling is needed for closed end pens. Cbeck the library for excellent info. Also, there are closed end pen articles at http://www.RedRiverPens.com/articles
Do a good turn daily!
Don

Sent from my Samsung Epic using Forum runner

Jim Burr

Banned
I was where you are about 6 months ago Ron so here's what I'd try...again, plenty of ideas out there...just whatever works for you. There are two great tutorials in the library on finials. Get a 4" 3 ring binder and start printing stuff off...you're gonna need it! I do Jr Gent closed end, pick one you like...ordered the stuff from Arizona Silhouette and since I ordered 2 mandrels, they sent me Ed's DVD. I didn't have a collet chuck at the time and after talking to Martin...I did it on my Barracuda and SN2. I was able to watch the DVD, hit the shop and Shazzam!! Closed end right off the bat!
Trust me when I tell you, there is no limit...I have 3 in the works that will be amazing when done and just sent one via PFC John Burr USMC (my son :biggrin:) to the Marine Force Cmdr @ Ft Lee. Look into the library, but get that DVD...all you need!

brownsfn2

Thanks for all the advice. I think I am going to get both now. Pin mandrels and a collet chuck. I think this will cover me for finials, closed end, and kitless (If i take the plunge).

Thanks again!

Top Bottom