turning chestnut

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

glycerine

So I was at the Woodcraft store today and a worker came in with a bag of wood. He saw that I was buying pen kits, so he handed me a few pieces and said that it was American Chestnut, which appears to be pretty rare. Anyway, the wood feels a little lightweight and "airy", would you guys suggest having it stabilized bfore attempting to turn it?

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

RAdams

Banned
I also have a bit of chestnut that i have ben reluctant to use. I will give it a go now for sure! Mayb a little Christmas ornament or something.

Rangertrek

Chestnut

I have also turned a little chestnut, both american and Chinese (from my yard).
The wood is light, but seems very stable. Just keep the CA handy for a few small voids. It finishes nicely.

alamocdc

I have some wormy Chestnut that is so old and dry I get more "dust" than shavings when turning it regardless of how sharp my tools are. But it is beautiful wood when you can find it.

The good news is that it looks like the American Chestnut may be making a slow come back with small stands existing in a few places throughout its original range.

nava1uni

I got some Antique Chestnut from someone here and I soaked it in Miniwax hardener, let it dry for a few days and then turned it. It was easier then the piece I turned without the hardener. Finished nicely.

Dalecamino

Local Chapter Leader
Thanks for the reminder ! I bought some Chestnut blanks retrieved from a house built in 1722 in Connecticut , from Johnnie Jarheaded , with certificates . I have got to turn them !:redface: Please let me know how they work out for you .

wolftat

Product Reviews Manager
Thanks for the reminder ! I bought some Chestnut blanks retrieved from a house built in 1722 in Connecticut , from Johnnie Jarheaded , with certificates . I have got to turn them !:redface: Please let me know how they work out for you .
I just took a look and there are still a lot of them here if anyone needs any. I can probably find the certs around here also.

george

I have also made about 10 chestnut pens - I used R. Fairfield method with wet sealing of the wood (medium Ca and 180 sandpaper). Works great and can be seen in the librabry.

OKLAHOMAN

I've got 2 more blanks of this American Chestnut Burl. Think next ones will have a gloss finish:
IMG_1475-1.jpg

Top Bottom