Turning on center tools?

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

SLICKYINC

Being new to turning im still very green in the what is needed to do certain jobs dept. I am curently turning my pens with a pen mandrel, but fell like im ready to move beyond it now. My question is what will I need to start to turn on centers? Ive been looking at Live Tailstock Center w/ 60 deg point - #2MT, but am not sure what is needed for the headstock. I dont have a big lathe its just a tabletop HF that is getting me by till I figure out what ill want and need in the future. So what tools I do have or get. I would like for them to be able to be used with a new lathe. I cant be retooling if you know what I mean. If someone could lead me in the right direction it would be greatly appreciated.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

tim self

Since you mentioned looking at the 2MT, I'm assuming you've got the HF lathe that is 2MT. That said, a 2MT dead center for the head stock and live center for the tail stock is all that "is required". These are interchangable with the larger lathes so you could move up if needed/wanted.

Something you may consider is getting bushings from JohnnyCNC. His 60 degree bushings save the centers and make for a better turning experience.

SLICKYINC

Since you mentioned looking at the 2MT, I'm assuming you've got the HF lathe that is 2MT. That said, a 2MT dead center for the head stock and live center for the tail stock is all that "is required". These are interchangable with the larger lathes so you could move up if needed/wanted.

Something you may consider is getting bushings from JohnnyCNC. His 60 degree bushings save the centers and make for a better turning experience.
Thanks for the help. I was looking at pennstateind.com for the parts and was confused because the dont have the dead center. Thats why it threw me off. But since you pointed me in Johnnycnc direction, he does carry both of them.

Lenny

I would say that along with 60 degree live center in the tailstock (needed for both tbc and using a mandrel) and a 60 degree dead center for the headstock, you also will need a short tool rest. Whether you get a custom one from members Rick Herrell or Johnnycnc or are able to modify or make your own, I think it is an essential piece of turning between centers. I think you will find it rewarding. Best of Luck!

KenV

Tool rest -- I remain impressed with the Robust Comfort rest -- If you head to a third party rest, stop by a woodturning club and try one of these. I am sure someone in the club with have one.

widows son

Dead center source

Check out this dead center on flea bay. I have previously purchased other items BEFORE I joined this forum from this seller and have not been disappointed. For $10 and no shipping charges it works for me. This dead center has a carbide tip on it. I had been using one I turned one from aluminum but it was bit too soft.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dl...33654&ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT#ht_3002wt_1242

I bought a live center from PSI and sent it back the same day I it arrived. The bearings felt like they were filled with sand, very rough. I bought a live center from Woodcraft last weekend for about $18 on sale and it is much smoother. My second choice was the same seller above on Ebay. I checked out the live centers at the local supply house who sells primarily to metal lathe users. Many were $200 +. I don't think my wood lathe can take advantage of the higher tolerances.

Sellers name is "discount_machine"

SLICKYINC

Check out this dead center on flea bay. I have previously purchased other items BEFORE I joined this forum from this seller and have not been disappointed. For $10 and no shipping charges it works for me. This dead center has a carbide tip on it. I had been using one I turned one from aluminum but it was bit too soft.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dl...33654&ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT#ht_3002wt_1242

I bought a live center from PSI and sent it back the same day I it arrived. The bearings felt like they were filled with sand, very rough. I bought a live center from Woodcraft last weekend for about $18 on sale and it is much smoother. My second choice was the same seller above on Ebay. I checked out the live centers at the local supply house who sells primarily to metal lathe users. Many were $200 +. I don't think my wood lathe can take advantage of the higher tolerances.

Sellers name is "discount_machine"
Thats great because as you typed this post I was purchasing the one on ebay that you mentioned. For the price I couldnt pass on it, also because I had $5.00 in ebay bucks, so I spent $5.00 for it. I must not have looked close enough for the live center from this seller. I will have to go check it out.

SLICKYINC

I hadnt even thought about a new toolrest. Thats why I asked the question. I knew I would be lead in the right direction. Thanks guys, and if anything else is needed, please tell.

JimB

I suggest taking a closer look at your lathe. I don't think the HF bench top lathes take MT2 in both headstock and tailstock. I believe one model is mixed and the other is MT1.

SLICKYINC

MC1018 is the model number. Honestly its probably not a harbor freight model, but the guy I bought it from said thats where he got it. I did do some research on it (well I googled the model number). Its a chinese lathe.... Imagine that, but from everything ive found on it. It is a MT2 taper. Other than that i really have no idea how to find out. How does one measure for this?

Nickfff

How do you keep the blank/tube from slipping since you have 60 degree center on either side?

KBs Pensnmore

How do you keep the blank/tube from slipping since you have 60 degree center on either side?[/quote]

It is pressure of the tailstock (with a live center) pushed up against the blank which pushes against the dead center (in the head stock) that drives it, in other words, friction drive.

Kryn

randyrls

How do you keep the blank/tube from slipping since you have 60 degree center on either side?

It is pressure of the tailstock (with a live center) pushed up against the blank which pushes against the dead center (in the head stock) that drives it, in other words, friction drive.

Kryn[/quote]

To join the thread; Use caution when snugging up the tail stock. You can certainly apply too much pressure to the blank and either split or crack it. It is also possible to flair the brass tube end. I would only sand and finish with centers. Do use between centers bushings for turning.

PTsideshow

How does one measure for this?
Well if you have the live center for your lathe, if it fits in the headstock like it does for the tailstock. It is the same size.

MT#1 .369 small end .475 large end
MT#2 .572 small end .700 large end

Now most of the import lathes are made by the same company, Just different brandings,paint, some specifications.

I have a HF 10"x18" mini. Now as to what size the MT are. The newer ones are MT#2 in both the head stock and tail stock. My lathe was purchased last summer. I called their tech support due to the different numbers given in the spec's. The guy went and measured them, the ones they had in the warehouse were MT#2's.
I don't know if they have changed the spec's on their web site or not.
The only thing I wish it had is a variable speed motor, rather than change belts.
I'm just starting to turn pens, but I am happy with it so far, couldn't beat it for the price with a 20% off coupon when on sale! :biggrin:
:clown:

MrWright

Passed Away Oct 12, 2022
In Memoriam
I suggest taking a closer look at your lathe. I don't think the HF bench top lathes take MT2 in both headstock and tailstock. I believe one model is mixed and the other is MT1.
I just purchased HF 10" Mini Wood Lathe Model #65345 and it does have MT2 on both ends and it seems to be doing a great job.

Nickfff

Randy,

I see your point about sanding between centers but how do others turn between centers then? I have found that that the blank slips constantly

LeeR

I would say that along with 60 degree live center in the tailstock (needed for both tbc and using a mandrel) and a 60 degree dead center for the headstock, you also will need a short tool rest. Whether you get a custom one from members Rick Herrell or Johnnycnc or are able to modify or make your own, I think it is an essential piece of turning between centers. I think you will find it rewarding. Best of Luck!

Dittos on the Rick Herrell tool rests. Just got a couple during his Christmas Sale -- most excellent for sure. Lathe tools just glide across them.

leehljp

Member Liaison
Something that is left out is "bushings." The live center and dead center are brought up to put pressure on the bushings to turn the square blank. Once near size is obtained, in about 10 seconds the bushings can be removed and the blank will turn between the centers for finishing.

Some people do put too much pressure on the blanks at first from the dead center and live center. The bushings eliminate that problem in the beginning.

Top Bottom