Turning a Celluloid Blank

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Hillbilly

I ordered my first celluloid blanks today. As some of you know I have only turned a few pens and all of them have been wood and the only way I knew how to do this is by watching and reading on this forum.

Can anyone give me some tips or link on drilling, turning, sanding and finishing celluloid compared to wood turning. Is it going to be simular? I hope so because I didnt buy anything especially for this project.

Thanks,Brian

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

mrcook4570

Most of the blanks marketed as celluloid are usually pretty easy to turn. However, it is even more important with plastics that your tools be sharp, otherwise it will be easy to chip. Plastics do not need a finish, just polish them. Watch the heat while drilling and sanding as some varieties have relatively low melting points.

ed4copies

Local Chapter Manager
PM sent, will send you a tutorial just follow instructions on PM>

This offer is open to all who may want a tutorial "Making a resin cigar pen" by that world-renowned author and dispenser of verbal tripe, Ed Brown!!!!!

marcruby

I've turned CSUSA's celluloid and survived. I was thinking it would be pretty funny if I still smoked and had a blank go up in flames while I was turning it.

Marc

Believe me, Marc, if you ever turn real celluloid, the smell will greatly discourage "lighting" it.

Burned tires come to mind

ed4copies

Local Chapter Manager
I'm sure CSUSA must have SOME celluloid in those blanks, but the blanks AIN'T celluloid. I bought a bunch in the mid 1990's from a plant that "blew up" in Europe. THAT was celluloid.

I later found out that it truly IS explosive in storage. That was AFTER I got one hot enough to "blow off" my mandrel and across the room --- them was the good ol days.

marcruby

That's an experience I'm glad you had so that we can learn from it.

>:p

Marc

I'm sure CSUSA must have SOME celluloid in those blanks, but the blanks AIN'T celluloid. I bought a bunch in the mid 1990's from a plant that "blew up" in Europe. THAT was celluloid.

I later found out that it truly IS explosive in storage. That was AFTER I got one hot enough to "blow off" my mandrel and across the room --- them was the good ol days.

ed4copies

Local Chapter Manager
HOW DO YOU GET THIS TUTORIAL?
THANKS JOE

Send me an e-mail, so I can hit "reply" and send attachments.

Anyone who is interested, just PM or e-mail me from the site, I will give you my email address and you can get the tutorial.

(Someday it will be on ExoticBlanks, but its not there yet)

Hillbilly

Thanks Ed,

Took a while to download....we have dial up but it all came through. I think I will try and cut off the corners. I dont want to fracture it. With me just learning to turn knocking off the corners is what I dont like the most.

wolftat

Product Reviews Manager
So the celluloid blanks from schaffer are explosive? Do you have to do anything special to them to cause an explosion, like powder them or grind them up to cause this? I have a lot of these blanks and want to make sure that I am not risking hurting anyone by having them sitting around.

ed4copies

Local Chapter Manager
Neil,

I wouldn't worry about normal storage. I read about this, many moons ago - I believe the story had to do with a very hot summer in a metal building???

When I started turning plastics, there was no IAP and I didn't know anyone else who turned them. TRIAL and ERROR and more ERROR and a little extra ERROR.

I got one blank really hot - I was also not the owner of a Tormek at the time -- and it truly blew into little pieces. I WAS the owner of safety glasses, which are also my prescription glasses, so no harm was done. Went all the way across the basement, after bouncing off the wall in front of me. I learned something about plastics and HOT. Now, I use sharper tools. MUCH sharper tools.

Don't sand with a sponge behind the paper to keep your hand from getting hot. Sand with your fingers exposed to the heat and keep the heat down. THEN, all is well.

When drilling, a little cool water is also a nice added touch.

bitshird

Believe me, Marc, if you ever turn real celluloid, the smell will greatly discourage "lighting" it.

Burned tires come to mind

Ed's right, I have a guitar my Dad bought in the 30s it has a Celluloid pick guard, I still remember the stink it gave off when he dropped a cigarette on it, also when I first started playing a lot of the picks were Celluloid, Man they stank if you tried to round the end with a match.

bitshird

So the celluloid blanks from schaffer are explosive? Do you have to do anything special to them to cause an explosion, like powder them or grind them up to cause this? I have a lot of these blanks and want to make sure that I am not risking hurting anyone by having them sitting around.

Neil, if your referring to the Cebloplast serpent rods they really aren't a true celluloid look up t Mazzucchelli Cebloplast on google, the company is still in business, but they don't make the pretty stuff any more.

ed4copies

Local Chapter Manager
Of course, Neil, your home WOULD be safer if you ship all those rods to me for safekeeping. I'll return them any time you wish.

(The ones that have not been sold as pens, that is)

Top Bottom