Turning celluloid

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

ed4copies

Local Chapter Manager
In this thread: Plastic?

the question was asked, how are the numerous types of plastic blanks different from each other. I gave a short (possibly terse) answer and I was surprised how much interest the thread got.

Our new librarian (and one of my good friends), Wayne suggested that we try to get answers that were "library-worthy" and incorporate this as an article. Honestly, I think that is such a good idea that I am starting a few of these threads and I will incorporate the information into an article for Exotics and make it available to the IAP Library.

Celluloid is very heat sensitive. Drilling must be done very carefully, avoiding heat buildup or the material will melt.

Turning celluloid is not difficult, and the sanding and polishing is also fairly easy----as long as the blank does NOT get hot. Some use "wet sanding", which may make this easier--personally, I just stop when it gets very warm.

Celluloid smells like burning rubber (not as much as ebonite), but the pattern of the colors looks "deep". Celluloid was used many years ago, so one of the "draws" is the "vintage-look". Because the material is relatively difficult to find, it is "pricey".

Top Bottom