Turning a captured ring on pen

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

DavePowers

Ok I have been trying to turn a captured ring on a pen and the ring is to small and breaks. Do I need to use mini tools? Anyone try this? It was going to be my entry in the slimline contest.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

jskeen

Based on my experiences turning replacement centerbands for the jr series pens, it is going to be a hit or miss thing to get a ring that small to stay together. I have the best luck turning small thin rings out of alumalite. It's not as brittle as PR, and doesn't have grain like wood. As for tools to turn details that small, I would suggest you try to get your hands on some dental tools and customize them. They are usually very high quality steel, close if not exactly the size and shape you need, and if you can find the right source pretty cheap. You might get lucky if you know a dental tech or a dentist or somebody in that line of work, and trade a pen or two for the privilege of digging through the "scrap box" of explorers, picks and such that all dentists offices seem to collect. They also work well for turning and hollowing micro vessels and bowls for doll houses. Which is a good use for the ends of pen blanks, and can sell for good money on the right website or doll retail store.

THarvey

Ok I have been trying to turn a captured ring on a pen and the ring is to small and breaks. Do I need to use mini tools? Anyone try this? It was going to be my entry in the slimline contest.

I saw an article (I think on the Pen Maker's Guild site) where someone used a dental pick to do the ring.

I have tried it with a dental tool, but not with any success.

hmmmmmmm I make them all the time for the PEN THAT CAN'T BE USED.....time consuming but I learned on ash which turns nicely.....there is a rhythm you have to do which way you cut, and how you sand underneath.....not easy not extremely hard, just got to play making circles till you feel drunk hahahaha. I use my normal pen turning tools, nothing grand in the shop, like me. I only have done them in woods, for that heats up wicked fast too.

UKpenmaker

I have done one, just used my normal tools, mainly the skew.
I think used a masonry nail ground down to finish off the last bit.

pens0004.jpg

Last edited:

wolftat

Product Reviews Manager
I made 2, sold 2, and had 2 returned for the removal of the ring. They are annoying to write with, but are great if the pen is just going to be displayed.

OC1

You can get cheap dental tools on ebay - made in pakistan or somewhere. Pretty good for woodworking, I use them for many things.
They are called curette scalers (or curettes for short).

Last edited:

RussFairfield

Passed Away 2011
In Memoriam
You can grind a hook shaped ring-tool from a screwdriver. Practice on a large ring, and then grind a small screwdriver for a small hook-tool to turn small rings. Use a fine grained and hard wood and the small ring will be no more difficult than a large one.

DurocShark

I think I'd like to try that. But have the ring be at the finial end... I've done exactly one ring. Out of scrap pine, just to see if I could: Pic

nava1uni

Ask your dentist for dental tools that he no longer uses. My dentist keeps me supplied with them. I grind them into all kind of shapes and use them for many things. I use one ground like a parting tool to loosen CA that may be on bushings or the end of pens and to remove glue from inside of tubes. Great little tools.

Top Bottom