Turning To Bushings

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

dhallnc

I will try to turn my first pen very soon, a regular slimline. One thing I can't get my head around yet is how far up the blank should the diameter be turned the same as the bushing for the hardware to fit?

Thanks
Darryl

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

snyiper

Darryl Yes that is the way it is suppose to work. In theory you turn the ends so they are the exact size of the bushings that will get you close. The more widely used method is using calipers to measure each piece of the pen and turn to that size to get exact fits. The bushings are mearly a guide.

Mack C.

Passed Away Sep 29, 2018
In Memoriam
I will try to turn my first pen very soon, a regular slimline. One thing I can't get my head around yet is
how far up the blank should the diameter be turned the same as the bushing for the hardware to fit?
Hi Darryl; That's a decision for you to make in how you design the pen. The crucial item is the dia. of the blank where it meets the bushings.

Lenny

One trick I use when turning slimlines is to have an ever so slight taper at the nib end ... hopefully ending up at the exact fit to the nib (where the fit is most essential and any discrepancy can be easily felt) ... If I find I have gone to small I can then use a barrell trimmer with the head reversed and a piece of pressure sensitive sandpaper attached (or Rick Herrell's tool) to trim the nib end back to a bigger diameter.

KenV

But remember that bushings are a guide -- the pen parts are often a bit different and that difference is noticable to the fingers. Many use calipers to measure the pen parts and the bushings and note the differences. Turning the end to fit the findings dead on is a mark of quality.

I know it is easier and faster to assume the bushings are 'close nuf". and they may be sometimes.

alphageek

Former Moderator
Darryl

In addition to the answers you have gotten above - you will hear the term b2b or bushing to bushing. That term is used to denote making the whole pen 'straight' and as thin as possible for the hardware.

You can do this, and for a few kits, many people thing it works great. But for most hardware, the general consensus is that some curvature looks best. Slimlines are a great set of hardware because the amount of freedom you have to try things out are infinite.

Welcome to the vortex... Make sure you save that first pen, no matter how it turns out - to remind you of the fun of the beginning!

Top Bottom