Turning Burls - Help

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Status
Not open for further replies.

bca1313

I have not been turning for that long and really enjoy turning pens. I recently decided it was time to turn some burl pens and th eexperiance did not go all that well.

I was using the PSI maxi mandrel and started out roughing the blank down to round and the mandrel bent very fast. I am guessing that some of my cathes tightened the nut on the mandrel, but am not certain of that.

What I did notice was that I was taking some chunks out of the burl as opposed to clean cuts. I am using the same roughing gouge I have always used and sharpened it right before. Never had this problem until now.

My question is do I need to do something different with burls?

What type of tools do most of you use on burls, etc?

Any help is really appreciated.

Thanks

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Dario

I use the same tools...burl or not. I use roughing gouge and skew.

Can you tell us more about the burl?
What wood is it?
Does it have voids/inclusions?
What glue are you using?

wudwrkr

You may be trying to take too deep a cut. I use a 1" gouge on all my blanks until I get close to the final dimentions. One thing I found helpful for me on burls is to go from the center out, rounding over the ends. This seems to prevent most chip outs for me. Also, where is your gouge contacting the wood? I usually am setup so I a bit higher than center.

Burls are great. I love the look and have gotten some spectacular ones from Dario![8D]

bca1313

The burl I was working on is Aboyna burl and it does not seem to have inlusions. I have used medium CA glue to glue the tubes into the blanks.

I will try cutting a little higher. I just set it up like I normally do, but the result was much different.

I will be getting a lot more from Dario now that I know of his offerings

dubdrvrkev

Sounds like it might be punky. I think we have all blew up a few burls in out turning "careers". Catches will tighten the nut and that will bend the mandrel.
I use roughing gouge and skew on all pens.
What speed were you turning at?

bca1313

Sad to say, but I dont know. I just turn the knob on the to about halfway and go to it. Sometimes I turn it up a litte more. It is a Jet midi lathe with VS

alamocdc

I only used a gouge for about one month on pens. Then Daniel referenced an article on using the skew, I read it and have only used gouges on bowls since. As has been qouted on here before. It's called a gouge for a reason. [;)]

Having said that, I'll say this 1) sharp tools - scary sharp if possible; 2) light cuts on burls; 3) sharp tools; 4) if it looks like your getting chunking instead of clean shear, apply a little CA, turn some, more CA, turn some, etc.; and 5) did I mention sharp tools?

Pipes

Ive NOT turned pens very long Iam new to PENS BUT I have turned a LOT of diffrent wood ! And in my opion and its only a guess is your trying to take to much of a cut causing the catches to a point ! back off and use much lighter pressure and very sharp tools I use only a skew its all I really find I like I have used a fingernail but always go BACK to just a 1 inch skew even on tiny projects ! I do hav a 1/2 inch skew but prefer the 1 inch ! Back to your problem A catch will tighten the nut I have found !! and I ck it often if I feel a few ! But backing off with lite presure and sharp tools a cure a host a problems even on punky wood specialy punky woods IMHO as a newbie that I am to pens !!!99 % of all MY problems come for me when # 1 iam to tired to be at the lathe #2 dull tools !! Or #3 pressing to hard to big a cut ... and I turn almost at as HIGH a speed as my Nova Mercury a go !!! and having turned a lot a heavy spalted and burl woods I have NOT blowed out many BUT you will we all have blowen some up I know ! Thats IMHO again as a newbie to pens not turning persay....

http://affordablepipes.com/

Rifleman1776

Most burls are just looking for an excuse to blow up. I have some Big Leaf Maple Burl that was unworkable until stabilized. Now very beautiful. Coming soon is some spalted oak burl that wanted to fall apart if I just looked at it cross-eyed. It has been stabilized and will produce great pens (if I do my part) when turned.

Dario

So as not to give BURL a bad rap...more than half of my first 100 or so pens were made of burls. Of all that, I lost only 2 on a blowout while turning. I lost more while drilling though...due to wandering bit, because I was using a drill press with a hand drill attached to it [:D].

Ofcourse I started making pens after learned a bit about turning...making some bowls (for a month) so I wasn't a total newbie. [;)]

Just remember that on wood that are funky, soft, cracked, has voids, etc. CA is your best FRIEND [;)]

I second the light cuts with sharp tools.

airrat

Billy mentioned an article that Dario posted about skews. At one time I knew where that was but have since lost the saved link due to new computer. I was going to post it again. Anyone able to pull it up and link it again.

ilikewood

Dario has it right. CA...turn....CA....turn....CA...etc.

Some soft spongy types need this as the only way to turn. (SUPER sharp tools also help).[;)]

knottyharry

BCA
Check the nut on the end of the mandrel often to see if it has tightened up.
Only snug enough to keep the blanks from spinning.
Sometimes like was mentioned it will tighten if you hit a snag. Causing the mandrel to bow.
One of the things I like to do is run some Thin CA on the inside of the blank and let it soak in from the inside out before gluing the tubes in.
Then use Thin CA as I go.
They are touchy..
Harry

Pipes

Originally posted by Dario
<br />So as not to give BURL a bad rap...more than half of my first 100 or so pens were made of burls. Of all that, I lost only 2 on a blowout while turning. I lost more while drilling though...due to wandering bit, because I was using a drill press with a hand drill attached to it [:D].

Ofcourse I started making pens after learned a bit about turning...making some bowls (for a month) so I wasn't a total newbie. [;)]

Just remember that on wood that are funky, soft, cracked, has voids, etc. CA is your best FRIEND [;)]

I second the light cuts with sharp tools.

I agree I am NEW to pens and sure NO expert !!! BUT I have turned a LOT a wood and a LOT a burl and very few blow outs !!!like 1 or 2 I can think of and was MY fault NOT the wood !!!

http://affordablepipes.com/

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom