Turning burl...?

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Status
Not open for further replies.

les-smith

I just completed my first burl pen. It was a cigar pen and it was a piece of stabilized Sapelle Pomelle. Man it turned out nice, but dang those are exspensive, $10.00 at Woodcraft. My question is: How much harder are unstabilized burls to turn?

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Rifleman1776

Burls by nature are crumbly and fragile and often have many inclusions (voids) in them. Some are simply not turnable unless stabilized. Extra work and material goes into the stable process, plus the fact there is a lot less burl wood in the world than non-burl. Therefore, the higher price. But, ususally, the uniquness and beauty more than make up for the initial cost.

Dario

I've turned my share of burls, I would say 80% or higher, and NEVER used any that is stabilized yet. I might have had one blow out on the lathe and even that I attribute to user error (combination of wrong glue and too aggressive cut).

I hope this info helps you a bit.

I've turned plenty of burls and never had a problem.

Actually, burl is a very stable wood, and unless it is punky you will not have any problems.

If the burl is punky, add a little CA and you should be fine.

Frank, I'll be happy to take all your non turnable burls anytime.

ilikewood

Like it was said, CA does wonders for punky, sponge-like burls. Stabilized is nice too, but smell like plastic when turned. You lose the "odor" of the wood when it is stabilized.

AS is the place to get your stabilized woods. Woodcraft is nice, but way on the expensive side.

Dario

Also...I used to shy away from pieces with voids and inclusions but with CA they actually make the pens more interesting (design opportunities as some call it [;)]). They do add a bit more challenge but well worth it.

les-smith

I haven't really branched out and started buying things other than Woodcraft. But, I do have an oportunity for some burl blanks that aren't stabelized. I just didn't know if I should go that direction yet. Sounds like it is probably time to give them a shot. It'll save me some money. Funny though, No sooner do I post this topic and a possible group buy comes up for stabilized wood. Man, I'm really starting to love this stuff.

Fangar

Originally posted by les-smith
<br />I haven't really branched out and started buying things other than Woodcraft. But, I do have an oportunity for some burl blanks that aren't stabelized. I just didn't know if I should go that direction yet. Sounds like it is probably time to give them a shot. It'll save me some money. Funny though, No sooner do I post this topic and a possible group buy comes up for stabilized wood. Man, I'm really starting to love this stuff.

There are many suppliers. Woodcraft is off the planet as far as their prices. For unstabilized stuff, Lee Tree Works is my source. For Stabilized, Arizona Silhouette has some nice stuff. You will pay nearly double for that though.

Cheers,

Fangar

Originally posted by les-smith
<br /> I do have an oportunity for some burl blanks that aren't stabelized. I just didn't know if I should go that direction yet.

If the price is right, buy it.
If the wood is green, it may need to sit for a year.

Either way, you can't have to much wood.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom