Turning bugs

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

MichaelS

NOW don't laugh so hard that you fall off the chair but!!! I had a 20" dia. X 15' maple log in the wood lot out back that has been laying on the ground for 2 years. Cut it up for bowels and pen blanks yesterday. (Beautiful spalted maple if I ever saw it). Now for the question. A lot of you have turned everything from coffee to Rice Krispies, but I have not herd of anyone turning bugs. I was rounding over some of maple pen blanks before I stabilize them and found bugs in the wood. I think I want to leave them in but don't want to gross out the buyer. Comments Please.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

arioux

Hi,

You know what they say:

Finding a worm in an apple is not too bad.... finding half a worm in an appple well........

Hope you don't end up with too much half bugs[xx(]

Alfred

Rick_G

Finding a worm in an apple is not too bad.... finding half a worm in an appple well........

My wife did that. The rest of us thought it was funny.:D

I get a lot of maple branches that come out of our trees in the winter. Quite often nicely spalted and full of bugs. I generally nuke the blank in the microwave on defrost for 3 minutes to dry it and it also makes sure there are no live bugs left in the pen.

Varinokid

Mmm...I wouldn't mind having a pen that had a dead VISIBLE bug in it....call me morbid or whatever..but I think that would be "one of a kind" pen.

Hello

I think its cool.....as long as you tell the customer what it is thats in the wood....it could also be cool to carefully disect a bug, make a little hollow on the outside of a bowl with a dremmel or something and inlay the bug!

ElMostro

If it's a small bug (like an ant) you can just pour CA on it and leave it in place BUT if it's one of those big 1" grubs [:0] CA will kill it but it has to dry...if it dries it shrinks but normally leaves enough of the shape of the bug that you can still ID it unless when you turn it you cut into it. DO not cast the live bug, bec; One- if you are sing Alumilite and put it under pressure the bug will pop and release liquid that will cause some nasty looking bubbles with bug inners in them [xx(](alumilite does not like water and the bugs inners act like water) and two: if the bug does not pop but while turning you cut into the bug it will SPLAT all over you and your face mask (remember the bug was under pressure). How do I know this...well don't want to go there but the liquid from the bug on your face after the bug has been dead for a while is not something you want to happen to you...;)

Sfolivier

I would vote to avoid / remove. I doubt that people who are into fine writing instruments would like the vermin still there. People like crazy grains and ambrosia patterns. They don't necessary like the ambrosia beetles and the woodworm.

I guess it's about the same a liking silk and wearing worms...

Top Bottom