Turning Bucks Blank

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

RichB

Maybe Ed will see this and help. I am turning one of his bucks blanks for a Wall Street 11 kit. I have turned it down to .01 over the bushings. Several holes have gone to the tube and are quite large 1/8 inch. I painted the blank with black Testors paint twice but not the tube. I glued the tube in with epoxy. The holes show gold. How can I cover this gold up. If I use CA as in the video will it react to the paint. CA is clear and I think I will still see the gold. There is not much blank on the tube with this kit. Maybe I willhave to strip it off and use something else. Can someone help? Rich

YoYoSpin

You could try coloring your CA glue with something, like food coloring. Or you could use pre-colored (black) CA, like this stuff: http://www.arizonasilhouette.com/Cyanoacrylate_Glue.htm .

The fix that might work best, and the one I prefer, is to use plain old clear thin CA, sanding the piece on the lathe while it's turning slowly and while the CA is still wet. That'll cause some of the surrounding materials (PR & paper) to mix with the liquid CA and blend in for a blemish-free surface.

If it's a really big void, take some dust/shavings off the floor from your turning and shove them into the void, followed by a drop of thin CA and sanding while the CA is wet.

Last edited:
Top Bottom