Turning Blanks

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Status
Not open for further replies.

Towbar15

Just a quick question for you all?

I was turning a couple of blanks down to the point of sanding them then a piece of wood on the end comes off the tube. Before that i made three other sets with no problems. Just wondering if im doing something wrong?

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

challagan

Was the blank a burl like amboyna or a non stabilized punky soft piece of wood? Were you using a skew? Some of the burls like amboyna and some other woods like Desert Iron woods etc. like to lift chunks out of the blank at any time. Take small bites and on woods like that I prefer not to use my skew, it seems to excellerate the lifting for me. Hope this helps.

Corey

DCBluesman

Passed Away Mar 3, 2016
In Memoriam
Check the tubeside surface of the wood as well as the tube itself. It's possible that you didn't get sufficient glue coverage. Sometimes even a tiny catch will cause a blow out if there is insufficient glue coverage, particularly at the end of a blank where there is no lateral support.

Dario

Originally posted by DCBluesman
<br />Check the tubeside surface of the wood as well as the tube itself. <b>It's possible that you didn't get sufficient glue coverage</b>. Sometimes even a tiny catch will cause a blow out if there is insufficient glue coverage, particularly at the end of a blank where there is no lateral support.

Major reason why I use Gorilla Glue. [;)]

I was having blow out problems until I started swabbing the inside of the blank with CA in addition to putting CA on the tube.

I squeeze a bead of medium CA onto the plastic bag that the kit I am using came in and use an old phillips screw driver that is slightly smaller in diameter than the hole. I plunge this back and forth from both ends a few times. Next, I roll the tube in the glue and use a twisting/pumping motion to put the blank into the tube. CAUTION: You have a few seconds of working time, but you have to be fairly quick or you will end up with the tube frozen in place sticking half way out of the blank.

Johnathan

Originally posted by Blind_Squirrel
<br />I was having blow out problems until I started swabbing the inside of the blank with CA in addition to putting CA on the tube.

I squeeze a bead of medium CA onto the plastic bag that the kit I am using came in and use an old phillips screw driver that is slightly smaller in diameter than the hole. I plunge this back and forth from both ends a few times. Next, I roll the tube in the glue and use a twisting/pumping motion to put the blank into the tube. CAUTION: You have a few seconds of working time, but you have to be fairly quick or you will end up with the tube frozen in place sticking half way out of the blank.

I'm sure the learning process for this was not so fun.[;)]

Originally posted by Johnathan
<br />
I'm sure the learning process for this was not so fun.[;)]

I've glued myself to more than one blank [:0] This usually happens when I try to prepare more than 5 pens at once. The glue starts building up on the screw driver, my insertion tool, and my fingers.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom