turning blanks

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Ed McDonnell

I use the same tools for all materials.

I use spindle gouges from Thompson Lathe Tools for my pen turning by hand on my wood lathe.

I use carbide end mills / engraving bits (various types) for my carved core blanks that I make with my Digital Ornamental Lathe.

I use HSS tooling in my metal lathe for stuff I need / want to do on the metal lathe.

Learning to sharpen / use the tools you have is more important than what tool you have.....unless the only tool you have is a shovel (or something like that). At least that's the way I look at it.

Ed (who does not sharpen carbide end mills / engraving bits....but who wishes he could)

Ed

Jim Burr

Banned
Have you even checked the library? All questions are answered there and this is the most common one to be found!

crokett

For wood I use a spindle gouge to rough turn and then depending on the wood a skew or carbide tool rolled on edge for final shaping. For acrylic I use a spindle gouge. I can get a surface that is ready to sand just with a sharp gouge and light touch.

Edgar

New Member Advocate
Staff member
Most of the time I just use an EWT Easy Rougher with a square-R2 blade for the whole pen job for both wood & acrylic.

ed4copies

Local Chapter Manager
Nearly any tool can be used effectively. Just practice with the tool of your choice.

My choice for 15 years was a roughing gouge, for the last five, a skew. But, I can turn a pen with any tool you want to see, as long as I am allowed to sharpen it the way I want.

Adillo303

For wood, I use a spindle gouge to rough and a skew to finish.

For plastics I ttied the dpindle gouge on my first one. Ruined the blank.
Fir the second one, I used a round nosed scraper. That went fine.

I have only turned two.

Top Bottom