Turning Blakc Palm

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Status
Not open for further replies.

SKRS

Good afternoon!!

I was wondering if anyone had any wisdom to share regarding turning black palm. I made a pen a few years ago with great success.

I've just started turning game calls. I'm trying to make one out of black palm and I have lots of chip out. And boy it's just not a very attractive piece.[V]

Any suggestions to improve my turning experience would be greatly appreciated! :)

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

potter

i love this wood, its very decorativ. I cut this with sharp skews ( is this the correct word?) sometimes i beginn sanding with the 100 paper,CA helps too.And you may have a little patience.
here is one of my Flippers in Black Palmira

2007118203138_Flipperblack.jpg

potter

i fear, i have a problem with the technical terms in English.
I cut the Palmira with this tool:

200711821541_ovalmeissel1.jpg

Firefyter-emt

That should work just fine, and oval skew too, very nice! Keep it sharp, maybe use a diamond hone one or twice while you turn the pen, keep it sharp. Some thin CA to "lock it togather" would be nice when you get close to being done as well.

Everyone has steered you in the right direction: sharp tools, skew instead of gouge, light cuts, and CA. Black palm is VERY splinter-prone, and there's not much you can do about it except to follow the advice that all these fine folks have given you. BTW, it also likes to crack occasionally, so don't be shy with the CA, it may help.

R2

I've turned several Black Palm slimlines and in my blissful ignorance and exuberance used a spindle gauge after roughing down with a roughing gauge. Never had a problem! Maybe I was just plain lucky!Must admit tools were sharp and kept sharp as BP is tough on tools.

Buzz

I've turned quite a few Black Palm too. Always use a rouging gouge and finish with a skew without problems. Whatever the tool, it needs to be freshly sharpened.

I think that drilling, particularly for the larger diameter pens, has the greatest potential for disaster. I sometimes leave extra length on the blank and then dock it after drilling to save having to breakthrough with the bit. If I am going to breakthrough when drilling a blank, I do so very, very gently.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom