Turning between centers - another way - Page 2 - International Association of Penturners
     International Association of Penturners
Pens for Service Members

Support The IAP

Go Back   International Association of Penturners > Community Forums > Penturning
  Forgot Password
Register FAQ Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Penturning General penturning discussions not specifically addressed in one of the specialty forums.

Logged on members can hide ads!

Welcome to penturners.org!

You've found the home of The International Association of Penturners. You are currently viewing our site as a guest, which gives you limited access to view discussions, photos, and library articles.

Consider joining our community today. You'll have full access to all of our content, be able to enter our contests, find local chapters near you, and post your questions and share your experience with our members all over the world.

Membership is completely free!!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-09-2009, 06:37 PM   #11 (permalink)

Photos: 9

Excellent! Thanks for sharing your methods.
Old 12-09-2009, 06:55 PM   #12 (permalink)

Photos: 4

Now that is a great lesson and the pen is gorgeous.
Dilbert
Seer is offline   Reply With Quote Top
Old 12-09-2009, 07:46 PM   #13 (permalink)

Photos: 219

Thank you George . This is right on time for ME . Oh , and beautiful pen .
Dalecamino is offline   Reply With Quote Top
Advertisement
Old 12-09-2009, 08:47 PM   #14 (permalink)

Photos: 0

Great job on this very very helpful...
Chief Hill is offline   Reply With Quote Top
Old 12-09-2009, 09:06 PM   #15 (permalink)

Photos: 74

George,

Are those normal bushings that you would use on a mandrel or the special between center bushings?

Great instructions BTW! Thanks a ton. I have tried a few of these things before but have been afraid of too much pressure on the blank causing the tube ends to flare.

Currently running Silicone Mold advertisement
Full line of Silicone Casting Molds (Horizontal Blank, Vertical Blank, Block, "Tube-In" casting molds for skins and labels, Bottle Stoppers)
"Tube-In" molds include Slim/8mm/Designer/Sierra/Sierra Click/Cigar/Jr Series/Gent Series/Clicker/Patriot/Zen.
PTownSubbie is offline   Reply With Quote Top
Old 12-09-2009, 09:43 PM   #16 (permalink)

Photos: 45

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rmartin View Post
That's an excellent post, but I have 1 very very important question!

You have a fridge in your shop?

That is too cool!

Seriously, I ended up with a groove in my live center while turning between center. Is this due to a poor quality live center, or am I tighting too much?
Well yes But... it's a small one, just large enough to hold the microwave and toaster oven! Any larger and I couldn't sit my tea water dispenser next to it. When I go out to the shop for the day... I don't have to go back in the house for much !

A groove in your live center! You mean where the brass tube actually cut a groove in the 60 degree point? If that's the case I would say you're live center is dead. I had one last year that had a bad bearing and there was no way to lubricate or change it so I just tossed it. You have to have it snug enough to at least put tension on the center and make it spin but I have mine loose enough that a heavy hand during sanding would stop the blank.
Attached Thumbnails
fridge.jpg  

Texatdurango is offline   Reply With Quote Top
Old 12-09-2009, 09:51 PM   #17 (permalink)

Photos: 45

Quote:
Originally Posted by PTownSubbie View Post
George,

Are those normal bushings that you would use on a mandrel or the special between center bushings?

Great instructions BTW! Thanks a ton. I have tried a few of these things before but have been afraid of too much pressure on the blank causing the tube ends to flare.
I have a hodgepodge of bushings, most of which are the $3 variety that you buy from Craft Supply, Beartooth, etc. I just mount them in a collet chuck and drill them with a 60 degree center drill bit.

I stopped ordering bushings with the newer kits I try and just make my own from steel or aluminum rod.

As far as pressure on the blanks, that's a good point, I think I'll add a note on the tutorial. I only apply enough pressure to keep the live center spinning. When I first started turning this way I was always checking the tubes to see if I was spreading them but never noticed any problems.

Everyone just remember... don't crank the tailstock down!

Texatdurango is offline   Reply With Quote Top
Old 12-09-2009, 09:56 PM   #18 (permalink)

Photos: 116

Great tutorial George. Basically the way I turn blanks and I also have been using factory kit bushings center drilled. I've got some of Johnnycnc's bushings coming that I can't wait to test drive
I use the small bags that kit parts come in over the centers (held with small elastics) when sealing and finishing to keep the centers cleaner. Less cleanup, just slip off the bags and throw them out.
Larry in Harrow is offline   Reply With Quote Top
Old 12-09-2009, 09:58 PM   #19 (permalink)

Photos: 0

For those of you turning between centers, I wonder if you find it an issue when doing slims or similar pens with two halves. Since I'm new, when I'm turning the slims, I like to see the top and bottom halves together so I can make sure their contours match each other. Is this not and issue for most of you?

Mike
Old 12-09-2009, 10:10 PM   #20 (permalink)

Photos: 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texatdurango View Post
A groove in your live center! You mean where the brass tube actually cut a groove in the 60 degree point? If that's the case I would say you're live center is dead. I had one last year that had a bad bearing and there was no way to lubricate or change it so I just tossed it. You have to have it snug enough to at least put tension on the center and make it spin but I have mine loose enough that a heavy hand during sanding would stop the blank.
I think the groove was caused by the bushing. I didn't even notice it until turning between centers one day and started getting a vibration, which I knew couldn't be. But it was. I am still able to use the center with a mandrel with no vibration. I have since replaced that center, but I'm kinda afraid to ruin another turning between centers.
Rmartin is offline   Reply With Quote Top
Related Content
Logged on members can hide ads