TURNING BETWEEN CENTERS

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

paintspill

i am toying with this tbc idea. i still like a mandrel because i feel you get a better flow of the pen seeing the two parts together, what i am interested in however is using it to turn odd blanks round as i've recently started drilling on my lathe.

my question is that i know and can easily find a 60 deg. live center but am having trouble finding a drive / dead center. can someone please post a picture of one so i know what i'm looking for, i've seen many pics but normally in use. if someone has a pic of just the parts that would be great.

thanks everyone

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Justturnin

You can search ebay for them or also a member here sells them, Johnnycnc I think is his IAP name.

Question. If you just want to use it to turn them round why not turn them round prior to drilling? I do this on really odd pieces using a 5/8" spur drive center.

leehljp

Member Liaison
my question is that i know and can easily find a 60 deg live center but. . .

IF you are NOT using a 60° live center on your mandrel, you are lucky that you are not having out of round blanks. The mandrel was made for 60° live centers, not the stock wood center that comes with most wood lathes.

The way you stated that gives the perception that you are not currently using a 60° live center, but I could be mistaken.

Last edited:

Xander

IF you are NOT using a 60° live center on your mandrel, you are lucky that you are not having out of round blanks. The mandrel was made for 60° live centers, not the stock wood center that comes with most wood lathes.

The way you stated that gives the perception that you are not currently using a 60° live center, but I could be mistaken.

Not meaning to hijack the thread, but I don't use a 60 deg livecenter. I use the mandrel saver from PSI. I find it very good and so easy to use.
I've been thinking about changing to TBC but I like the mandrel system. However, for sanding and CA finishes I do want to get the delrin finishing bushings from JohnyCNC.

toyotaman

I just ordered mine yesterday. Grizzly has the HSS ones for $5.95. Carbide tipped is a few dollars more but for TBC its not going to matter. The item # is H5789. grizzly.com

leehljp

Member Liaison

Not meaning to hijack the thread, but I don't use a 60 deg livecenter. I use the mandrel saver from PSI. I find it very good and so easy to use.
I've been thinking about changing to TBC but I like the mandrel system. However, for sanding and CA finishes I do want to get the delrin finishing bushings from JohnyCNC.

Mandrel Savers - Things change! I just looked at them, - Thanks for pointing that out. I think I remember someone pointing this out before, but I never saw went to the PSI site to see it. WOW, the price of mandrels and peripherals for mandrels seem to be getting more expensive since I last bought one, and those are from PSI too.

I will stick with TBC because it is cheaper and far less parts and potential for OOR and OC, and the accuracy is dead on.

Last edited:

paintspill

thank you all for the responses. i was away from the computer all weekend and couldn't respond. so thank you.

and on a side note it looks like i picked up another big order on the weekend. 26 pens for starters.

back to the shop i guess

IPD_Mr

I re-read this thread again and missed something you said th first time. While you subject is TBC basically I though about pens not odd size blanks as you mentioned in your post. The responses you got are great for TBC but don't necessarily help on turning odd size blanks round to later drill on the lathe. I would suggest you look into a 5/8" crown or steb center. Here is a good one I just found doing a quick search. If nothing else it should give you an idea of what I am speaking about.
http://www.choice-woods.com/2-mt-5-8-spring-loaded-steb-spur

Top Bottom