Turning Between Centers

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Gilrock

So I started turning between centers after reading the article in the library. After doing a few pens I ended up with what you see in the image below when I pulled a tube off the live center. I realized I'm probably over zealous with the CA glue. But the buildup was from several pens..not just one. I thought it was funny so I took a photo. The pen turned out fine...you can see it in my post in SYOP.

Thanks,
Gil

Attachments

• TurningBetweenCenters.jpg
    TurningBetweenCenters.jpg
    25.6 KB · Views: 491
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Texatdurango

So I started turning between centers after reading the article in the library. After doing a few pens I ended up with what you see in the image below when I pulled a tube off the live center. I realized I'm probably over zealous with the CA glue. But the buildup was from several pens..not just one. I thought it was funny so I took a photo. The pen turned out fine...you can see it in my post in SYOP.

Thanks,
Gil

Ya think! :biggrin: Wow, you must have some nice new shiny centers to do that!

Just imagine, with a little practice on a couple more pens you will not be getting any CA on the centers at all.

leehljp

Member Liaison
It appears you are not only turning between centers, but finishing between them as well.

. . . "as well?"

The point behind TBC is just as much the finishing process as getting away from the mandrel and its many faceted problems, . . . in addition to simplifying the whole process. No need for bushings, or delrin bushing of any kind in the finishing process. Simple. More accurate. This makes it cheaper too.

It was the "doing away with the need of bushings" of any kind in the finishing "step" that drove me to move to TBC nearly 5 years ago.

And guess who encouraged me the TBC process back then - the fellow that you order your delrin bushing from. :biggrin: Well, there was one other fellow - Rifleman that also encouraged it.

Mack C.

Passed Away Sep 29, 2018
In Memoriam
It appears you are not only turning between centers, but finishing between them as well.

You might want to consider these delrin bushings from johnnycnc
MAGIC FOR FINISHING : Penturners Products!

I couldn't/wouldn't be without them for finishing pens!

I went to order some for the mandrel but it's showing sold out?? Any ideas where I can get some?
Maybe it's because I ordered 5 sets for our club turners last Thursday. Hang tight, I'm certain he'll have some more soon. A message to him would verify. John is great to answer messages.

Mack C.

Passed Away Sep 29, 2018
In Memoriam
The benefit derived from using johns eliminator bushings in the finishing process is being able to finish both halves of a 2 pc. pen at the same time, which can't be done TBC.

To each his own, is my motto!

Texatdurango

The benefit derived from using johns eliminator bushings in the finishing process is being able to finish both halves of a 2 pc. pen at the same time, which can't be done TBC.

Hi Mack, As you said... to each his own. Personally I found that there was never really a benefit of doing two blanks at once. Remember that 99% of us who switched to TBC (turning between centers) know what it took to stack all the nuts, washers and bushings on a mandrel before turning and you don't hear of too many who have switched back to mandrels. To me, it's not about a few seconds here or there, it's all about the accuracy of the blanks and getting away from the dreaded out of round blanks caused by a myriad of problems generated by the mandrel.

Gilrock

Actually I do have some of Johnny's delrin bushings but mine aren't tapered like that previous photo. I have the ones that are similar to the metal version but undersized a little. I find the CA glue still sticks to them almost as much as the metal. So I think for awhile I was trying to apply the CA with no bushings between the centers.

Anyways I only intended to provoke a laugh...not a serious discussion...lol.

Gil

Texatdurango

Actually I do have some of Johnny's delrin bushings but mine aren't tapered like that previous photo. I have the ones that are similar to the metal version but undersized a little. I find the CA glue still sticks to them almost as much as the metal. So I think for awhile I was trying to apply the CA with no bushings between the centers.

Anyways I only intended to provoke a laugh...not a serious discussion...lol.

Gil

Actually the more I think about it your centers must have some sort of a coating on them for the CA to come off in one piece like that. What's your
secret, I'll try it! :)

Usually after a dozen or so CA applications, I'll take a 7mm bushing and place it between the two centers, tighten things up, start the lathe and take an exacto knife and cut the CA buildup off both centers.

PenMan1

Looks like you are using Boeshield T-9 on your centers. I also think that It is difficult to over apply CA or Jim Beam.

I sometimes get a build up like this. In fact, it is easier to trim the CA cone from the pen barrel than to skew off and polish the centers. Also the "cone effect" minimizes cracking the ca finish edge cracking that can happen without slicking the centers.

I did use a little PAM or paste wax on the cones, but I got tired of slinging it all over me.

A shot of T-9 at the end of each turning session will dry, prevent rust and keep CA from building up on centers, collets, ways, etc. T-9 is expensive, but I think worth every penny.

Timbo

Ditto! I turn between centers, but use the eliminator set for finishing. It saves me way more than a few seconds. I've even gotten into the habit of always making single barrel pens in pairs, just so that I can finish the two blanks at the same time for efficiency.

Mack C.

Passed Away Sep 29, 2018
In Memoriam
Ditto! I turn between centers, but use the eliminator set for finishing. It saves me way more than a few seconds. I've even gotten into the habit of always making single barrel pens in pairs, just so that I can finish the two blanks at the same time for efficiency.
That's the point I was trying to make. I guess I missed doing it!

Top Bottom