Turning between centers

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

JCochrun

I bought all the components a few months ago but did a move from Hawaii to California so I was not able to turn for awhile. Got my shop set up now and started turning today. Turned half of a pen between centers. I must say, I should have started turning that way a long time ago. It seemed so much easier and it looks really good. Bought the bushings from Johnny here on the site. Appreciate all of the advise I have gotten from the folks here.

Thanks,

Jim Cochrun

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
hmm I need to try turning between centers, cause I go through mandrel shafts like crazy and today I turned a pen on a new mandrel shaft and it was way off center.

ctubbs

After a bit of off center pens, I found a tail stock center at PSI that does not put any pressure on the mandrel. You have to know the number to find it. Look up "PKMSTS2". I just looked and it is still available for $14.95. Since then, I have not messed up any mandrels or used any of those pesky rolling brass nuts for the end. ( I just put mine in the storage, just in case)

By the way, I have no connection to PSI other than to purchase there from time to time.

Texatdurango

I bought all the components a few months ago but did a move from Hawaii to California so I was not able to turn for awhile. Got my shop set up now and started turning today. Turned half of a pen between centers. I must say, I should have started turning that way a long time ago. It seemed so much easier and it looks really good. Bought the bushings from Johnny here on the site. Appreciate all of the advise I have gotten from the folks here.

Thanks,

Jim Cochrun

If you visit the IAP "Home page" and look to the right side of the page you will notice a tutorial on turning between centers. It was written by a heck of a nice guy and might give you some ideas you hadn't thought of yet. :)

Lenny

If you visit the IAP "Home page" and look to the right side of the page you will notice a tutorial on turning between centers. It was written by a heck of a nice guy and might give you some ideas you hadn't thought of yet. :)

Yeah, That Guy is kinda like the "Godfather" of TBC!!! :biggrin::):)

Last edited:
Top Bottom