Turning between centers

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Harris

I am relatively new to pen turning but turn between centers on my spindle work. Having read about some problems with using mandrels I'd be happy to turn pens between centers. However, does this mean you turn 1 piece and then cut and drill afterwards? Could someone please enlighten me on the process?

Harris

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Wheaties

It means cutting and drilling as normal, placing the bushings on each end after squaring the ends (slimline bushings will not work- you will have to buy specially made ones), then placing it between centers- both 60 degree (one dead center, one live center). For a two barrel pen, this means one barrel at a time.

You can find everything you need at penturnersproducts.com. (JonnyCNC here on the forum)

Chief Hill

Maybe someone can post a pic? Sorry I don't do it but it may help with a visual as to how it's done...

BigguyZ

You can also turn without any bushings at all. This is what I do. So, you have the blank drilled, and squared up mounted between the dead center on the headstock and the live center on the tailstock. Make sure to not use too much pressure, but then you can turn any style pen no matter what.

To make sure you're at the right diameter, use a caliper. I use the same one that CUSA has on sale for $12 on their front page. It's plastic, so you don't have to worry about scratching the fittings (like you would with metal jaws). Just measure the end of each piece, and use that measurement to know where you want to be with your blank.

Simple. Quick (don't have to worry about using the wrong bushings). And Cheap (don't have to buy bushings).

Just make sure you use an xacto knife or something to thouroughly clean the inside of the brass tubes. and again, don't use too much pressure or you're crack the material.

Harris

This is what I was thinking about. No bushings. Just plain spindle turning after drilling and using an electronic calipers. What are the downsides on doing it this way?.

Wheaties

This is what I was thinking about. No bushings. Just plain spindle turning after drilling and using an electronic calipers. What are the downsides on doing it this way?.

It takes more time stopping and checking more (not really a downside in my opinion)

And, without bushings has a greater chance of cracking the material if too much pressure is applied.

But other that that, there are more advantages IMHO:
1) No OOR
2) No finish sticking to bushings
3) No cost of bushings
And I'm sure there are more

Hm... I wonder why I use the bushings when I turn between centers... :confused:

johnnycnc

It takes more time stopping and checking more (not really a downside in my opinion)

And, without bushings has a greater chance of cracking the material if too much pressure is applied.

But other that that, there are more advantages IMHO:
1) No OOR
2) No finish sticking to bushings
3) No cost of bushings
And I'm sure there are more

Hm... I wonder why I use the bushings when I turn between centers... :confused:

Zach, head out to the shop, take a blank, mount between centers,and just have a go with no bushings.
I think why will be apparent pretty quickly.
Maybe not, but I would say it will.

snyiper

Clearance is tight, cant get normal tool rest close enough and my dead center is a MT1 and it does not fit a 7mm tube. I use JohnnyCNC metal and Plastic bushings!!! Excellent

redbulldog

The only time I now use bushings is in the initial setup for the cigar pen. when I get the initial sizing done, then I use Johnnycnc centers. All of my pens have been better now that I turn using Johnnycnc bushings. The best investment for me. Thanks Johnny!!

Last edited:

Wheaties

Zach, head out to the shop, take a blank, mount between centers,and just have a go with no bushings.
I think why will be apparent pretty quickly.
Maybe not, but I would say it will.

I'll take your word for it and just keep going how I am. :biggrin:

Top Bottom